Elections 2023 and 2024

Primaries are one of those things that aren’t really defined in the Constitution but have become such an integral part of the election process that they have profound implications for representative democracy. If you don’t set any kind of rules for how the primaries are run then you can effectively disenfranchise voters by the millions. It’s definitely a weak point in the system.

7 Likes

On July 10, a Nevada judge denied the GOP’s request to block the new PPP [ public primary ] law… However, in that same order, the judge highlighted that the “results of any PPP election are not binding on any major political party.” Therefore, the requirement of a primary does not technically prevent the Republican Party from holding its own caucus

that is wild. so basically nobody, including the republicans themselves, know how their presidential candidate will be selected. :exploding_head:

that’s some… good governance right there /s

4 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

Boebert’s decision to not run for reelection in the 3rd District is likely good news for national Republicans who need the seat to hold onto their narrow majority in the House. Without Boebert running, the GOP likely has a better chance of keeping control of the district

might be the party leadership was putting pressure on her to leave or switch.

6 Likes

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

3 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/28/politics/trump-maine-14th-amendment-ballot/index.html

nice!

Maine’s top election official has removed former President Donald Trump from the state’s 2024 primary ballot, in a shock decision based on the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist ban.”

Maine Secretary of State Shenna Bellows paused her decision pending a potential appeal in state court, which Trump’s team said they intend to file

( tho i’d say what was “shocking” was the insurrection )

10 Likes
11 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

1 Like

This is one reason that the lack of privacy in voter registration is a problem. If I responded to an ad like that, I’d have to do some amazing acting to be accepted. What’s a potential Democrat deep-cover double agent supposed to do? :woman_shrugging:t4:

Sunglasses Hiding GIF by Soul Train

9 Likes

What are Rebulicans?

6 Likes

A typo :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I wonder if it was deliberate, for screening out the well-informed, a bit like the spam emails riddled with typos? Just a thought.

5 Likes

What a maroon

1 Like

… it will be “an election year” again in a few hours

2 Likes

It’s almost like he has absolutely no chance of winning nomination, let alone the election, and he knows it, so he’s running as a spoiler and making it very, very clear to Il Douché that he’s a good and faithful servant in hopes of being rewarded for his service when the Eternal Day One begins.

3 Likes

kind of like how christmas decorations have started appearing in stores before halloween, election year starts sometime shortly before inauguration

1 Like

If that’s his goal, then I stand by my statement that he’s an idiot. If he’s lucky, he’ll be tossed HUD like Ben Carson was.

5 Likes

… Valentine’s Day crap is being unloaded from trucks as we speak :heart:

2 Likes

What’s this “as we speak”? I’ve already seen it a few days ago.

1 Like