Elections 2023 and 2024

5 Likes

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Iowa Republicans must not love democracy or America enough!

8 Likes

It may be interesting to see whose supporters are really motivated. Hopefully, not Trump’s.

5 Likes

Record winter storm upends plans in final Iowa caucus stretch

don’t you think if god thought they were doing the wrong thing, she’d send them a sign?

Snow Day Dog GIF

4 Likes
6 Likes
1 Like

Poll: Nearly half of Nikki Haley’s Iowa backers say they’d vote for Biden over Trump

3 Likes

So, she apparently has become the anti-Trump candidate, despite still really just angling for the VP spot…

2 Likes

I wonder how significant this really is. Most Republicans are so deep in the Trump cult that they never seriously considered voting for anyone else in 2024 election anyway, so it makes sense that a large portion of the people who are still shopping around are effectively indepdendents.

5 Likes

I can only hope that people voting for others in the primaries means some of them will sit out the general.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Maybe he’s going to try to do the Bushes one better and have father and son run together rather than having the son run after the father. Trump/Trump '24?

1 Like

Really need that puke reaction emoji…

4 Likes

:thinking:

:woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Every time I see a slideshow of the Iowa caucuses it blows me away that such a tiny (and almost exclusively white) group of people have so much influence on who gets to have a shot at the Presidency.

On the one hand, it feels a little charming to see candidates taking the time to meet with individual people, listen to their problems and try to make a case for their votes. Even when we know the candidates are going to stab them in the back later, they still have to make an effort at feigning interest.

On the other hand I know that no candidate from any major party would spend a fraction of that time getting to know individual Californians because by the time the biggest group of voters in the country get a chance to weigh in the race is basically over.

Nothing about our electoral system is designed to give voters an equal say in who gets to run the country.

5 Likes

Working as intended…

FYI, this is from the Guardian livefeed:

It took only a half an hour for the AP to declare Donald Trump as the winner of the Iowa caucuses, but some precincts hadn’t even started voting when the result was announced.

Angry The Office GIF

Note that less than 3% of the vote was in when I grabbed this screen shot…

1 Like

Trump is below 50% now.

If that holds - he looks very weak.

2 Likes

That’s pretty close to the polling there the last few days. In a normal, pre-DT Iowa caucus, that would be considered a stunning landslide. I think it does show that while Trump is likely to get the GOP nomination, there are still a lot of Republicans who don’t want him. The question is, as you mentioned earlier, will the people who don’t support him now vote for him in November. I suspect most of them will, but it won’t take many staying home or voting for Biden to swing the election.

5 Likes

Who Knows Yes GIF by Bounce

Things can change later. A lot of people in the US do love a comeback story. :grimacing:

5 Likes

The ad spending is a clear indication of how out-of-whack this system is. It looks like a little over 100,000 Iowans turned up for the caucuses tonight, after over $123,000,000 was spent by the Republican campaigns in that state. So more than $1,000 for every individual who showed up to caucus.

3 Likes