Elections 2023 and 2024

Sooner than I expected

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/15/us/politics/vivek-ramaswamy-drops-out.html

6 Likes

kramer im out GIF

7 Likes

ironically, the gop primary is kind of the opposite. pay money to stoke one’s own… ego.

im not missing an r i swear.

2 Likes

Turnout was low in these caucuses compared to the record-setting 2016 turnout. Only about 110,000 Republicans caucused with 99% of results in, as of 1:30 a.m. ET.
That represents less than 15% of the total number of registered Republicans in the state – perhaps not surprising in the record cold. But Trump got almost 900,000 votes in Iowa in 2020.

It’s pretty amazing for so few voters to play such a prominent role in the presidential nominating process.

Mike Yard K GIF by The Nightly Show

10 Likes

and wait till they learn about the senate!

5 Likes
6 Likes

The Senate is a grossly disproportionate system of representation by design because the low-population states wouldn’t ratify the Constitution without some assurance their interests wouldn’t be overlooked in favor of larger states.

The party nomination process is a self-imposed hell invented during a series of fever dreams and kept in place by a self-interested group of people who figured out how to game the system for their own benefit.

7 Likes

I mean, I get the point…but man, there’s never any credit that people who already understood this about Trump supporters in 2016 were right about it, huh? :face_exhaling:

9 Likes

i thought it was because enslavement. the current low population states weren’t part of the original ratification.

totes. which is why i made the joke about the senate, because it also achieves the same end. ( for example how dc and puerto rico aren’t states, but alaska is )

6 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

6 Likes

No, but there were states like Georgia, Delaware or Rhode Island with populations of about 50k people each, concerned about states like Virginia with well over half a million people, or Pennsylvania with over 300k people.

5 Likes

Bullshit Liar GIF by Blue Ice Pictures

supporting a fascist ain’t a great look.

5 Likes

absolutely. and what happened was the weaponization of that original balance by the selection of where to draw new lines.

compromises were made to protect the interests of plantation owners. those compromises were meant to stave off a civil war. but even after the war, we still kept those state lines:

the weaponization continues today by not allowing dc and the territories to become states: arguably because of the high numbers of people of color in those areas, and the change in power that would result in the senate

( and of course the farce of the filibuster rules which gives any one person from even the least populous of states a stranglehold over the entire country )

4 Likes

Beau’s interesting comments about polling and this election year:

The surveys he mentioned:
https://www.axios.com/2024/01/17/americans-are-actually-pretty-happy-with-their-finances

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/11/americans-red-state-us-economy-axios-vibes

2 Likes
2 Likes

Others claimed that the one-vote loss was the work of the so-called deep state with a user writing: “To win by ONE vote is just too conspicuous. It looks like a ‘F**k You’ from the Deep State.”

i hope they know the actual deep state would relegate a loser like ■■■■■ to last on the list. ( i mean, really now. how messed up are the democrats that they can’t steal an election properly?! )

5 Likes

Damn. The Dems control the Republican Party.

You guys should just give up.

8 Likes

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

8 Likes

Well the shitty thing about this is that it will allow the GQP to consolidate fundraising more. With a long primary cycle they could have wasted a lot more of their own money. A three-way contrst would waste more money than a two-way contest, I’d expect.

8 Likes

Was just coming to post this…

Yep… the GOP is circling the wagons around a fucking insurrectionist and fascist…

6 Likes