Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz investigated over relationship with 17 year old girl

?

How is that a “racist phrase”?

6 Likes

More on this story and the Tucker Carlson interview:

18 Likes

He needs to change his name to: Matthew Gertz (not the alleged child sex trafficker Matthew Gaetz)

5 Likes

Edited for clarity

3 Likes

Depends on if you think “honkie” is an ethnic slur.

3 Likes

I don’t, because that’s nonsensical. That term is about wypipo, not say, Italian American or Irish American people. American whiteness is in part an insidious denial of ethnicity.

26 Likes

He might be getting caught up on the edgiest new show of 1975.

13 Likes

Seriously; that word hasn’t been used in conventional slang amongst the Black community since I was a toddler.

Also it doesn’t carry the same weight and historic hatred as the N-word, and it never will.

As always, even a predatory douchebag like this guy knows it:

31 Likes

One thing lost in all of this, is the following quote:

“People were talking about a minor, that there were pictures of me with child prostitutes, that’s obviously false, there will be no such pictures because no such thing happened,” Gaetz said.

I can’t access the NYT article at the moment, but as far as I recall, there’s no accusation of photos. Why is he denying something that he isn’t publicly being accused of? I wonder . . . .

15 Likes

Yeah, it’s like someone saying “I never killed that person with an axe. I’ve never owned an axe”, when it was a shooting victim.

13 Likes

It’s just liar logic:

Subject is accused of A.

Subject loudly claims to be accused of B instead.

B is proven to be false

Subject claims loudly “These accusations were proven false”

Therefore A is false.

21 Likes

Or, he’s aware of the full scope of the investigation, and the accusations and evidence that might be out there.

8 Likes

In which case, he will claim he is being accused of C instead. There is no end to the chain.

8 Likes

Fun twist! Gaetz office just posted openings for internship opportunities. Boy, I hope K-Pop stans don’t get wind of this!

https://www.daybook.com/jobs/YeLzHozJPwuMNbm3j

16 Likes

Is The Root the last relevant remnant of Gawker at this point?

5 Likes

No accusations of photos, nor of out and out prostitution.

It’s a fairly common dodge for this sort of thing. He’s “generous” to “girlfriends” without addressing if those “girlfriends” are under 18 or if the “generosity” is contingent on the “relationship” or involved travel, which is the sort of thing he’s likely to be charged with.

Then offer a more sinister sounding thing you’re either not being accused of, or you claim “many people” are accusing you of.

It diminishes what he did, and helps to reframe it as a sinister conspiracy against him.

All the gaps in it mean it’s probably true. He doesn’t say anywhere that he didn’t have sex with a minor. He doesn’t say anywhere that that minor didn’t cross state lines. He doesn’t say anywhere he didn’t give money and support to women as part of sexual relationships.

He never directly addresses or denies the specific accusations.

Just calls them something else, and denies things he hasn’t been accused of.

10 Likes

Nobody:

Matt Gaetz: Don’t believe the pictures of me with child prostitutes!

11 Likes

It’s a bit disturbing that he refers to alleged victims of child sex trafficking that he definitely didn’t take pictures with as … prostitutes. Aaaalmost like really his goal is to normalize and diminish the sexual exploitation of minors.

He’s a person I really didn’t think could get more gross but here we are.

21 Likes

The Root wasn’t ever on Gawker, AFAIK; before the kinjapocalypse, they were both hosted on Disqus, under Univision. Jezebel also still exists, also on Kinja, which is horrid.

9 Likes

Isn’t The Root owned by the Washington Post?

6 Likes