Former CIA chief shares his thoughts on UFOs

A ludicrous straw man, and one regularly trotted out by UFO “enthusiasts”. The only people I’ve seen who think this are extremely religious people who still basically have a pre-Copernican world view (pardon the pun).

Nobody challenging claims like Brennan’s on an evidence basis would make that argument because the evidence that other life exists is in fact very strong. The math alone makes it almost a certainty. The claim that any of them are buzzing our planet regularly? Totally without credible evidence.

No amount of blurry photos from the 1970s, lens flares, or radar glitches comes close to meeting the extraordinary bar required for this most extraordinary of claims.

5 Likes

ET aliens direct their hyperspace craft through wormholes to our remote solar system to observe the unique Flat Earth. No other known planet in the known universe is a flat disc. Yes, Terra is Special! But those are known knowns. The unknown knowns could still bite some butts. /s

3 Likes

You are pardoned for your pun :wink:

I didn’t know about that being a commonly used straw man. It’s been a while, but I’ve had conversations with people (otherwise intelligent people, non-religious) who toed the line about there being no possibility of life elsewhere in the universe. In retrospect, I wonder if they thought me wondering about life out there was equal to me saying UFOs are real. That’s not at all what I was talking about, but people read into stuff.

Came back to add: …now I’m wondering if they weren’t religious and I didn’t know it. Seems like a very religious view of things… hmmm.

It’s really funny how all of the experts from the defense world who know about these things in extreme detail totally disagree with your assessment. May I ask what your credentials are? Did you manage programs at Skunkworks? Have a senior leadership position at The Pentagon? Fly F-18s for the Navy and/or operate radar systems during these incidents?

1 Like

What an incredible set of non-answers.

1 Like

Obligatory as fuck:

17 Likes

ALL of the experts? Bold claim, citation needed.

As far credentials go: Years engaging in critical thought, formal background and training in physics, meteorology, planetary science, and astrobiology, currently employed by NASA in the field of data visualization and image creation. But none of that is even necessary to reject these videos as anything mysterious. You can see it yourself, in example #1:

The other two examples have similarly obvious prosaic explanations if you’re willing to look past the breathlessly sensationalistic coverage of them in the media and most YouTube clips. It is left as an exercise for the reader to search for them online, as this author can’t be bothered.

4 Likes

It’s important to maintain plausible deniability over whether the US has advanced alien technology in its arsenal.

Though recent hacking activities undermine those suggestions.

4 Likes

I’m not going to get into it with you, because you’re simply taking a debunker stance, and sharing the “analysis” of debunkers. The Navy says it is real, these were on radar systems, infrared video, and visually seen by multiple pilots. You have totally ignored all of the context and coverage of these events, totally ignored what the US military and its high-ups are actually saying. These are not “lens flares.”

1 Like

Of course they’re real. Lens flares and birds and aircraft are real things that can be caught on video, and the latter two on radar. And, funnily enough, they look EXACTLY like the videos we see here. Much like the mylar Batman balloon in that other recent thread that credulous UFO enthusiasts are convinced is terribly mysterious.

Citation needed, especially in view of the fact that this is OBVIOUSLY what they are.

5 Likes

I have worked on software for both military and civil radar systems, and they are totally different in the way they are engineered. Civil systems are designed to show only data which the system understands and is confident about. Military radar shows pretty much anything it can see at all.

Military systems rely on eyeballs to filter garbage from real threats. I think its understandable that some garbage would get through.

The presumption is that alien UFOs are visiting spacecraft. You would expect them to leave some debris around, even if it was just traces of exhaust gas. But the places we have looked in the solar system, especially the moon, have been pristine, except for our own waste and vehicles.

4 Likes

A good starting point is the US Navy, who I assume know how to identify birds, lens flares…

Just because you put OBVIOUSLY in bold doesn’t just make it so.

For anyone who actually has some interest in a serious, skeptical take on the issue of UFOs, and is not just looking for a debunking, I highly recommend this new doc:

1 Like

So, if we are so freakin far away from everything you’d think that such alien craft would have to travel at warp speed to get here. Which begs the question, why are they travelling so SLOW in our atmosphere? They are over the ocean right, so if they had to get from A to B it could be done in virtually a blink. They may be flying faster than us - but nowhere near as fast as they ought to be able to move. Just a thought.

No you may not.

If someone offers their credentials to weight their arguments, that’s one thing. We do not require that only people who have passed an arbitrary bar of research/understanding/approval may post opinion here. You may choose to discount their opinion based on lack of this information, but telling someone their opinion doesn’t matter because “the right folks” disagree with it is inappropriate.

21 Likes

The Navy statement doesn’t say what you seem to think it does. The Navy’s unwillingness to proffer a public explanation is not a refutation of the overwhelming likelihood that the videos are exactly what they appear to be. And regarding the “documentary,” it’s not encouraging that it highlights noted crank Edgar Mitchell in the banner image. Surely you have better sources than these.

Just a reminder, all these passionate arguments have been made before. Save some effort, have a beer.

3 Likes

I was lured in and have resultantly utilized the board’s ignore function.

But seriously, don’t give into debunkers, if this is an area that interests you. There is real research and real evidence, and it is, indeed, real, which is exactly what the Navy has said, on the record (there are additional on-the-record statements beyond the link I provided). MANY high-level government and military officials from around the world are on the record saying this is real. They are not saying they can prove it’s space aliens, but there is a growing consensus opinion developing, in public, that these seem to be advanced, intelligent, and non-human, whatever that ends up meaning.

Leslie Kean’s book is one of the best on the subject IMHO:

It’s pretty sober stuff. It’s not Ancient Aliens guy. Come to your own conclusions, or leave it as something the jury is out on. But single-message debunking serves so little purpose in the pursuit of knowledge, I think, anyway. I’m a fan of expanding knowledge.

This is true.

This is not.

5 Likes

Sorry, after Trump it’s hard to believe that the US Government has any blockbuster secrets.

Trump might be an idiot but not all of his sycophants are. If there was any secrets that their revelation would make Trump look good he would have shared them.

1 Like

The problem with UFOs as alien visitors, is the Great Filter.

1 Like