Fuck Today, Continued

That was a gut punch; wasn’t expecting that in a link to a forestry department.

7 Likes

Sorry! It one-boxed in the preview.

6 Likes

Jesus fucking Christ. Related to the post that @frauenfelder made today mentioning the lockdown at Boulder High. Apparently someone was making a lot of false reports today

12 Likes

I often wonder how young people today can feel mich optimism for their futures, let alone plan well for one. :pensive:

18 Likes

I tell them every day to focus less on how terrible the wider world is and more on what they can do to make their little corner of it better. Even if you can’t change the world, you can change the piece you have in your hands.

16 Likes

One thing that I have seen is that as a result of this a lot of young people I know are more focused on their present than in a future they don’t feel like they have. Not in a bad way - more like “I am going to do what makes me happy today - whether that is having avocado toast, refusing to accept that my job must be my life, or being my authentic self”.

They seem to care less about what other people think about them, or conforming to outdated standards and roles, and more about how they feel while maintaining empathy for others. Which I think is a very good thing. It is unfortunate that the world they live in is doing everything it can to nip this in the fucking bud.

The kids are, I think, alright - but the adults are still doing everything they can to fuck them up. It enrages me

14 Likes

“ COVID had so ravaged Tamika Jones’ lungs she could barely finish a sentence without gasping for breath when the emergency medical technicians arrived at her Delaware County home on Jan. 22, 2021.

The 46-year-old struggled to stand, and couldn’t get to the bathroom without a walker. An EMT did not check her temperature, blood pressure, or heart rate — or see if she needed oxygen — yet urged her not to go to the hospital.

The next day, she died.”

17 Likes

I hope this family wins their case. The need to argue with HCWs at all levels of the system is something I wish would die in a fire. We’ve had too many cases involving patients who were hospitalized, but without someone able to advocate for them on the way there, during admission, and while the patient was being evaluated/treated, the outcome was terrible. That scenario is more likely now due to COVID restrictions, and it’s a very scary situation for all concerned. :weary:

12 Likes

5 years ago, when my wife underwent a bilateral mastectomy, she received miserable care. Came up from the OR and no one hooked up her compression leggings, the pump was churning away and sounded good, but I noticed the hose hanging loose. There was a sign on the door stating “Allergy to Sulfa,” which she does not have. I asked about it, was told “Oh, don’t worry, we never look at those signs.” Had a night nurse come in looking ragged as hell, when I asked if she was going home she said “No, just worked a 12 at another hospital, coming in to work here to work another 12.” Needless to say, I did not leave her side until she was discharged. Which was in a rush, with no instructions at all. Now, for any reading who don’t know, I am a physician and we managed just fine. I fear for the outcome if she did not have a medical professional watching over her, and I know there are (the vast majority of) patients who do not have that level of privilege. The one bit of advice I was given before we went in for this procedure by one of my nurses was “Do not leave her alone in there.” She was frighteningly correct. It has not gotten better since then.

25 Likes

Yikes!

There are more than 69,000 homeless people in L.A. and the surrounding area

14 Likes
12 Likes
11 Likes
15 Likes
11 Likes
12 Likes
14 Likes

Ms Choi’s former husband Alex Kwong, 28, was arrested on Saturday, but has not been charged yet. He was reported to have been taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital after complaining of feeling unwell.

He was caught at the Tung Chung pier on Lantau Island as he was trying to flee, purportedly with HK$4.5 million (S$774,000) worth of cash and luxury watches.

His father and elder brother were charged with murder. His 63-year-old mother was also arrested and charged with obstructing the case. They are set to appear in a local court on Monday.

Police also said on Sunday they arrested another suspect, a 47-year-old woman surnamed Ng. She was the lover of Ms Choi’s former father-in-law and was accused of renting with him the ground floor flat of the village house. It was not yet known if Ng was aware of the murder. She was also suspected of helping Kwong evade police.

13 Likes
8 Likes
16 Likes

is that what the kids are calling it now

4 Likes