Fuck Today, Continued

We need an F.U. emoji.

12 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes

https://archive.ph/p8eVI

6 Likes

Time to use solar and wind power to desalinate all that new water! And then use all the salt that results to…well…ah, forget it.

Sad Arrested Development GIF

12 Likes

Put on my French fries!

8 Likes

And the all the meats!

9 Likes

“ Many of the cancer drugs in shortage are generic medications, which save the nation’s health care system money overall but are not very profitable for drugmakers.

“There’s little incentive to invest in generic manufacturing, oftentimes, especially for these much older drugs — the margins aren’t very big,” Ganio said. “It’s almost a disincentive.””

The magic of the marketplace!

7 Likes

We don’t need no stinking death panels to kill people off, no sirree.

9 Likes

We never did, insurance companies fill that niche so perfectly it’s impossible to compete with that efficiency.

11 Likes

I think we will have a fórum called “War on books” in this BBS…

15 Likes

“Despite what people say on social media, it’s not really suffering to go without your favorite snack for a couple hours or just be careful around someone who’s asked you politely. I mean, what kind of world are we living in where we can’t help someone that has a different health risk than we do? It’s just, it’s really upsetting,” she added.

Mild inconvenience to keep someone else from facing life threatening consequences? It seems we have pretty much established that we are absolutely not willing to do that.

7 Likes

“I went to go pull up [United’s] policy on my phone and she literally put her hand in my face like this and got close and she goes, ‘I don’t care what you’re going to say or what you’re going to show me. I’m telling you, this is not going to happen on this plane. So what are you going to do about it now?’ And at that point, I really did feel threatened that she was going to kick me off,” Mandelbaum claimed.

@docosc Mild inconvenience for sure (at worst), but something feels like there’s some backstory here we’re not being told.

8 Likes

Mandelbaum, who also runs the food allergy advocacy nonprofit No Nut Traveler.

Certainly someone could have helped her come up with a better name.

7 Likes

Well, she founded No Nut Traveller

About The No Nut Traveler
As the mother of a child with a peanut allergy, I know that airline travel can be as dangerous as navigating a live land mine. I created this website to help others like myself to minimize and prevent the risk of exposures and reactions when flying.
This is a home to share your stories and experiences with different airlines, so others may learn from you. Here you will also find resources that I have found useful in my quest to protect my son.
It is my hope that this site will become a trusted destination for you when you need quick and easy access information regarding airline travel and food allergies. Make an informed decision before you purchase that plane ticket, forewarned is forearmed.
Learn how to file a complaint with the Department of Transportation (DOT), if you have had a bad flight experience. Discover how to contact your representatives in Washington to lobby for more rights as a food allergic passenger or parent.

Sounds like a Karen on steroids, eh? Wonder what her position on masking is?

7 Likes

I don’t know, but it does sound like a strong reaction – which suggests there might have been some escalation on her part.

I’ve always thought that airlines should have at least one row to accommodate folks with medical issues, with a clear, plastic curtain to provide some separation in case of airborne allergens or pollutants. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I’m not reading that from the article or website. For sure, this is a woman whose son has a life-threatening allergy, and she’s tried to ensure that when they fly, at least, she can protect him. She’s also encouraged others to do the same. Not having a child with that kind of allergy I can’t say how I’d react.

The airplane confrontation does seem to have much more back story than we’ve been given. But I’m hesitant to use the K-word.

10 Likes

Eh, I confess to being jaded by moms who are way bonkers over “protecting” their child. We have had moms who refuse to bring their child to the office if we cannot guarantee that there are no kids who have eaten peanuts recently in the waiting room, who want to know if I have eaten gluten in the last couple days before I can examine their child. Her request to have a couple rows peanut free is not unreasonable, and it does sound, from her telling, that the response from the flight crew was out of line. But I agree that there is probably more to it. My response to helicopter parents is not usually positive, but that is a professional hazard.

(I have to confess I chuckled at “No Nut Traveller.” Yeah, I’m 12 at heart.)

13 Likes

I am surprised, in that I thought tiny, dry pretzels had replaced peanuts on every flight I have been on for ages. I couldn’t get a peanut if my life depended on it.

I guess it depends on the airline :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

For sure you see way more of this crap than I do. And at least in my corner of academia, we’ve begun referring to some of them as “lawnmower parents.” They’re hovering so close in that they make helicopters seem far distant.

12 Likes