Fuck Today, Continued

Heard the term “bulldozer parents” the other day. They crush everything ahead of their kids so they never have to struggle or overcome anything. The consequence is the first time they do run into an obstacle, they are clueless.

12 Likes

Make It So Star Trek GIF

11 Likes
15 Likes

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

10 Likes

Is it just me, or are these kind of things happening with more frequency?

8 Likes

Maybe. I hope it’s just that they’re getting reported more often. :grimacing:

5 Likes

One of my daughters spent two years in a class with a child with multiple allergies and medical issues, and the mother informed all of the parents that no one who entered the classroom at pick-up or drop-off, including the parent(s) involved, would be allowed to have eaten peanuts, any type of tree nuts, any type of soy (and I think I’m forgetting a few other basic ingredients) for breakfast, and nothing with those ingredients could be in anyone’s lunches.

As a vegetarian family, lunches were usually leftovers from dinner the night before, so this hit us extraordinarily hard. Imagine not being allowed to eat a significant part of your diet for all 3 meals a day, 5 days a week, for 2 years!

9 Likes

Though, to be clear, what you did was a courtesy, not a requirement, right?

4 Likes

Well, according to the teachers, it was a requirement. And they wouldn’t let me transfer her out to a different class.

ETA: I suppose I should point out that the other family was well known, powerful, rich and connected, and I was a single mother, and (heaven forfend) vegetarian to boot. We were in very different places in terms of rights.

8 Likes

I guessing if the shoe had been on the other foot, and your kid had the allergy, that the ban would not have happened for the entire class… You would probably have been told to suck it up or get out… :rage:

12 Likes

That’s awful. Especially the looming social pressure/enforcement mechanism.

15 Likes

Oh, you got that one right!

Multiple examples over the years of our family not being treated equally to others. Nothing that would ever hold up in court, it just made things unnecessarily difficult.

15 Likes

Paley Center No GIF by The Paley Center for Media

I am really sorry you had to put up with that when you’re kids were growing up. It should not be that way…

14 Likes

Thank You So Much GIF by Simon Super Rabbit

16 Likes

the article quotes the airline as saying they don’t serve pretzels. i think it’s that the mother was requesting the crew inform the rows around her son in case those people brought food or snacks with them.

serious question: can a peanut allergy really be that bad? at that level, it seems you could never eat in a restaurant, go to a movie theater, etc.

4 Likes

It can be. I can’t be in the room when my wife is making peanut butter icing, the mixer aerosolizes enough to make me ill. Eating at 5 Guys was out of the question (not sure if they still have bags of peanuts everywhere now-a-days, but the used to.) Walking past the door would make me wheeze. It can be pretty severe.

14 Likes

I told my spouse any one with severe peanut allergies can’t come in the house. I was mostly joking. But if a person has that severe an allergy, we’d probably need to say no. Peanut butter is a major component of our kid’s diet and she’s 6, so messy.
We do make sure no peanut butter before school. Just in case.

8 Likes

Im Sorry GIF by CBS

10 Likes

A U.S. government-backed institution has sued Rauf and Human First Coalition, alleging the organization failed to evacuate its employees after it was paid over a half a million dollars for that rescue, and one former volunteer has said she raised questions about how funding to the organization was being spent. The group is also facing accusations that it mistreated some of the refugees it promised to help.

“Safi left us behind,” said one refugee, who asked ABC News not to use her name. “He left us in darkness.”

7 Likes

Imagine forbes honoring a business… pardon, NON-PROFIT… that turned out to be awful to people who aren’t wealthy and well connected!!!

12 Likes