Fuck Today, Continued

Legislators don’t agree on how to end it, and any issue is compounded by the Clown Caucus:

5 Likes

oh! i didn’t know that states can make standard time permanent if they want

The Uniform Time Act, which was passed in 1966, says that states can enact permanent standard time but not permanent daylight saving time

i prefer dst but just one or the other would be nice.

the debate between them seems a bit overwrought. especially when you consider a country like china. i recently learned they’ve got just one time zone!

In Kashgar, in western Xinjiang, solar noon can be as late as at 15:10 (3:10 pm). In eastern areas, solar noon is before 12 o’clock. For example, in Fushun, the year’s earliest time of solar noon is 11:27 (11:27 am). In comparison, in Beijing solar noon is very close to 12 o’clock: between 11:58 (11:58 am) and 12:28 (12:28 pm).

4 Likes

Travelling from Afghanistan to China via the Wakhan corridor reults in a 3.5 hour timechange at the border. Not that you could easily do that mind you

6 Likes

see, we can get creative. noon at midnight anyone? breakfast for dinner everyday.

4 Likes
1 Like

… and it’s just an offset from UTC, we can call any number “standard time” if we want

California could adopt Mountain Standard Time which is UTC–7, and it would be the same as making Pacific Daylight Time permanent since that is also UTC–7 :globe_with_meridians:

1 Like

6 Likes

Less than five weeks until the earliest sunset, then it starts getting bright again (if the sacrifice is accepted by the gods)

6 Likes

That’s why we all have a big ass party right near the solstice-to remind the gods that we need the sunshine.

4 Likes

My cat Dulce is sitting on the kitchen counter, waiting for medicine that should have been administered (inside pollo asado) an hour ago.

7 Likes

maybe. i’d imagine the terms “daylight savings” and “standard time” are pretty specific in the law.

1 Like

Leave it to the :switzerland: to try and revive :fr: revolutionary time-keeping. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

… OTOH Congress may believe that it can actually move the sun around in the sky :thinking:

2 Likes

joanna lumley rage GIF

What will it be this year? We’ve been giving them shit for thousands of years now to ensure that the days get longer… have we run out of shit to sacrifice yet?

Season 1 Dancing GIF by Outlander

5 Likes

I’m thinking a nice quiche. Mix it up a bit.

6 Likes

With such a stalemate between the standard and daylight camps, has anyone studied the outcome of just moving the time by 30 minutes? :thinking: We could call it “Trade-Off” or “Give-and-Take” Time.

:woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Adam Devine Hbo GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

3 Likes

Australia has entered the chat.

4 Likes

Minor complaint in the grand scheme, but the neighborly pressure to rake is real.

Anyway, good to see a lot of memes like that one this year.

3 Likes

We tend not to rake, and if we do, the leaves just go off into the woods… We will also clear the driveway, but again, just off into the woods rather than into bags…

I will say this year, it’s been a bad acorn year. For the last 2 months of so, it’s like the trees are waging war on us and our house… The poor cat has been going crazy, and walking about outside feels like a minefield!

8 Likes