Fuck Today (Part 1)

I honestly don’t know. Everyone in my family wears/wore glasses, so maybe it’s a familiar/familial thing? It may be that I have a nurtured bias? I didn’t trust people with perfect vision?

eta: I wear contacts in public, and glasses at home. If I were a man, @chgoliz would love me!

9 Likes

well thats literally an illustration of the peter principle in action

1 Like

My mother just lost her son, and I’ve finally come back into her life after a decade. I don’t want to sound too grandiose, but I have saved her from years of grief. And it all comes back to the fact that when I was at my lowest, she was the one that helped me. So do unto others, and that’s my job.

My fam is Batshit Crazy, but they have selflessly been there for me and my bro. This is the time to give back.

21 Likes

I hear you. Really. But you’re in a complex state of grief right now, losing so much in short succession. You need to not let your own well run dry trying to help others, no matter how much they’ve helped you in the past. The situation isn’t analogous. Think of it this way: would your mother want you to go as low as that other time, or maybe even lower, because you were too concentrated on helping HER? (That’s not how good moms work.) Of course you need to be there, supportive, etc. Just don’t ignore your own needs in the process.

17 Likes

I understand. We have partially had this conversation before–helping people helps me. As an analogy, I’m a dog, or a horse. I am healthiest when I have a job and goals. That’s why when my mum told me not to come up, I realized in a new York second she actually meant the opposite. So I jumped in the car. And it has been a difficult time, but we both are healing.

I will show love, compassion, and selfless acts to my loved ones till my last breath. Cuz that’s how I roll.

23 Likes

I am sure you will do this, and well. But, I hope that you have someone to be your emotional support. I am sorry for your loss, your pain, and your stress.

Take care of yourself, let someone take care of you. I wish I could type something that would make a real difference, but I’m just a stranger on the internet hoping that you find solace and consolation.

I believe that people all dip into the same well of grief when we lose someone we love. Many of us have gone to that well, and we know how you feel in a broad sense, even if the specifics are your own.

If you are your family’s emotional support, you are going to need support of your own even more. Once the emergency is over, do whatever you need to do. Self-care with ruthlessness. Whine if you need to, cry, rail, rant, sob… because if you keep that inside it will poison you.

15 Likes

Man. This made my rant completely disappear. I may have to post it to the Victory thread instead (Hooray! I only broke the build!).

Hang in there.

12 Likes

I have a psychiatrist and a therapist waiting for me. I honestly do have a plan. And it does involve yelling, light flailing, and the occasional heretical statement :slight_smile:

Besides, talking it out right here helps tremendously. The compassion shown by you crazy mutants is almost overwhelming in its kindness.

22 Likes

Some kind of socially acceptable disability fetish?

(I also like glasses, although I don’t wear them myself)

5 Likes

I find intelligence attractive, and I think I perceive those wearing glasses to be more intelligent.

5 Likes

Between this and this and this

15 Likes

Glasses add visual interest, strength or drama around the eyes. Our culture is flooded with photos of women with eye makeup that creates a dramatic, visually striking eye area. Glasses do a similar thing, I think.

5 Likes

That was my main guess - they literally frame the eyes (and sometimes magnify them), making a focal point of your face and a source of microexpressions more salient.

2 Likes

Perhaps you should small, with a hair shirt, or even just a hair vest?

7 Likes

I’ll hit the monastery on the way back.

4 Likes

Considering how my stepdad has been on me about ‘so how do you feel about LGBT’ and then accusing me of being gay simply for not answering because we do NOT agree on shit…

And then him saying ‘justice was done’ at that nightclub (then immediate retracting trying to act like he didn’t say that.)

That is shit i did not want to know about the man’s mind… because now i want nothing to do with him or my family but for now I have little choice other than stay or starve.

Also they keep equating transgendered with transvestite… and don’t give a shit that they’re not ‘politically correct, because that’s all they are. fucking perverts.’

I SERIOUSLY did not want to hear this shit from my family.

21 Likes

Stay. Live.

Like all things, this too will pass. Is there anything I can do to help?

12 Likes

Barring extreme measures, the fact this place exists is about as much help as i can realisticly get.

And this is the kind of attitude that kept me quiet when I badly wanted to tell them about a transgendered friend I was sweet on. I wanted to do things right, get their support and maybe get them to help with me moving on to a new stage in life. Now? I’m heartbroke but glad i kept my mouth shut because I’m afraid of how it would’ve worked out.

Fucking sucks my family’s like this, and has been getting steadily more openly racist through the obama administration.

13 Likes

Then feel free to express what you need. You don’t get to choose your family and sometimes they don’t make things easy.

Be who you are, you’ll be supported by the right people. And others will just have to learn to come around.

11 Likes

I guess that’s a step up from self-flagellation

2 Likes