George Takei: "They interned my family. Don’t let them do it to Muslims."

12 Likes

I’m not willing to risk it; things like that are the prototype slippery slope, where if it gets a toehold, the next outrage is that much easier to force into place.

5 Likes

Nailed it.

I also throw in the feeling of being on a roller coaster: that sudden rush of “Things just got more wild than I expected all of the sudden and where is this going!”

Except that on a roller coaster you know, at least academically, how it will end up, and that the whole thing has probably been tested for safety tolerances. With the coming administration there is no such assurance.

4 Likes

You seem to be assuming this is only “foreign born” Muslims. The United States is one of the largest Muslim countries in the world. We breed them here and they don’t have internal passports identifying them as “Muslim.”

5 Likes

But I… like The Misfits.
Does that make me an asshole bear?

2 Likes

Close enough.

8 Likes

I’m not sure an image of an Italian American pretending to be a Native American has the right note…

8 Likes

Not necessarily. It all depends on where you fall in this diagram.

8 Likes

True, trading one insensitive cultural moment for another…

1 Like

Clearly you are being paid to say that.

3 Likes

It doesn’t state how many generations back our immigrant nation is taking notes.

That’s a shitty shrug you just gave at the idea of registering an entire religion of persons.

You should be flushed with shame. Why aren’t you?

6 Likes

I think they are about a percent of the population.

3 Likes

There is already a… uh… documentation trail for, uh, all, um, immigrants… already.

I assumed you’d know that

13 Likes

In other related news of stunning victories, Ford today pledged not to move jobs it already was not planning to move to Mexico, to Mexico.

9 Likes

They want to register all muslims coming into the country. Unconstitutional. First Amendment and all that.

And as @AcerPlatanoides notes, there already is documentation for immigrants and refugees coming into the country. I mean, do you have any idea how tough it is to get asylum here in the US? It’s very, very difficult and usually takes years. We have people who interpreted for US forces in places like Iraq and Afghanistan who are STILL waiting to be allowed in.

16 Likes

Slightly less.

4 Likes

The German word is Nazis

3 Likes

Tim Wise did this. His conclusion was most folks pointed to 1957, the year Leave It To Beaver debuted. He didn’t ask them if they thought it was a “great” time for people of color or women.

9 Likes

But they didn’t register their terrist level!

2 Likes

Jeez, all it takes is a simple terrorometer reading. Any moran could do it.

5 Likes