Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

10 Likes
14 Likes
13 Likes

I know this is as wrong as it gets, but one of my secret aspirations is to buy one of those battery powered leaf lowers. And then calmly walk into a convention of philatelists.

16 Likes

being held in the library of the Diogenes Club?

7 Likes

giphy-2971654595
but tiny

8 Likes
11 Likes

In a world of so much bad news, when so many trends seem to be rolling down the wrong track, it can be hard for people who care about the future to keep our heads above water. We’re drowning in it.

In the midst of all this, a light shines through, a moral awakening of the kind we are going to need to overcome all our onrushing crises. It is the revolution of empathy now taking place on college campuses, in encampments springing up across the U.S. and other countries. Students who mostly have no direct interests, no relatives in Gaza, are rising to witness the genocide in our faces, the dead, maimed, starved and brutalized people of Palestine, and to say that in any sense of human understanding, this is unacceptable and they want no part in it. They are calling on their institutions to divest from Israel and corporations that are arming Israel.

The crackdown by university administrators and police, ranging from suspensions and campus exclusions to attacks and arrests, some involving tear gas and rubber bullets, reflects how deeply the students’ actions are challenging the dominant narrative, as I wrote in my last post. For there is a war on right now. It is a war for the mind.

A couple of items to that point have been circulating on social media lately. They have drawn a lot of attention. One is comments by Palantir CEO Alex Karp, speaking recently at the Ash Carter Exchange on Innovation and National Security, a gathering of military officials and high-tech military-intelligence complex contractors such as himself.

6 Likes

I have one of those. It works great, and is relatively quiet. I am not, however, a sadist. The stamp collectors are safe from me at least! :grin:

11 Likes
14 Likes
13 Likes

I never said I was going to switch it on.

9 Likes

Caitlin approves!!!

ask-a-mortician-tea-skull

8 Likes
8 Likes

Sixty-one years since he was selected but ultimately passed over to become the first Black astronaut, Ed Dwight finally reached space in a Blue Origin rocket – and set a different record.

15 Likes
13 Likes

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

5 Likes
15 Likes

I’d like tickets to that show!

22 Likes