Halloween - 2016 - Post your costume ideas and progress - Now with PUMPKINS!

Yes the originals were black “Chelsea” or “Jodhpur” style boots, which are still made today, painted white. There are made to be replicas, but in white leather which should wear better than painted black.

I already put them back in the box, but yes the soles are a bit rubbery, not hard like my Bostonian.

3 Likes

My resources are minimal these days, but I am going to try scraping together a costume of Rick Sanchez, from Rick and Morty.

3 Likes

If one of the creators ever comes to KC, I am going to do the same. I can do a pretty spot on Rick, and above average Morty. I saw on youtube someone made a “working” teleporter gun.

1 Like

That’s a good idea for a quick and easy costume:
• Dye hair light blue, hair gel to spike it up
• Lab coat
• Drool

2 Likes

What I do is never quick or easy! I am going to try sculpting hair which is as improbably spiky as the animation, and a big eyebrow, and I’ll need to glue them to myself. I don’t know how I am going to do this yet. And getting a lab coat will be difficult, since I cannot order one online.

I will need to check that out!

1 Like

Also, if I were doing it id probably start with something like this and putty the shit out of it.

2 Likes

A spiky wig is probably a better idea! You can shape and form that any way you want.

For the eyebrow, honestly, I’d think about just using makeup to draw a unibrow. In my personal experience, it’s really hard to glue anything onto a brow, because your eyebrows and brow are always moving and flexing, and anything spirit-gummed on will pop off.

You might check your local Goodwill for a lab coat. I see them at mine all the time.

2 Likes

I am not going to do a wig, for several reasons. Rick has a bald spot in the back, so his spikes are more like a ring around his head. Also I want them to be more cartoony, with the exact same stiff, minimal-polygon appearance. And I have basically no funds to put towards this, so even buying a lab coat will be a challenge. I will probably go with papier-mâché or sculpted foam. That’s just the unrealistic aesthetic I am aiming for.

But now you cats have got me thinking about other props as well. I do make noisy and blinky electronics, so I might make something for this. Since I had a job in the beverage business I can probably find a liquor flask around here somewhere.

2 Likes

Wasn’t it @nungesser telling me about a paint to use for make up? I think it was another thread. Was it Mehron?

They have another cosplay event coming up on the 8th and I might dust off my Joker costume. But I need some decent make up this time.

1 Like

I use Mehron when I do cosplay/LARP stuff, because it covers well and is very easy to work with. The downside of Mehron is that it doesn’t dry, which means it doesn’t crack or flake, but it’ll come off on stuff if you touch your face.

2 Likes

Hrm… that is what I want to avoid… It gets all over the collars even if I avoid touching my face.

What about like face painting stuff? When my kid gets a big ol’ butterfly on her face, it looks great for a couple days. I don’t think it really cracks much, and it drys to the touch.

2 Likes

Some face painters use tempera, others use water-based paint like Snazaroo that you can find at Michaels. The top quality stuff that some people use are Ben Nye paints, which are oil based and can be sealed to not come off on stuff; I don’t personally have experience with them, but I’ve seen people put it on and just leave it on all weekend, sleeping with it on and just touching up as needed.

2 Likes

Well, I found what I’m going as this Halloween.

5 Likes

You need to seal and set your makeup. Ben Nye is the standard theatrical makeup, and there’s a couple of products that help it stay on. You’ll probably need to go to a specialty year-round costume shop to get them.
SO. 
You always hear talk of “SEAL YOUR MAKEUP! SEAL YOUR MAKEUP!” 
BUT.
Some people might ask, “What does that mean?” 
 And it can be confusing. When you’re looking at makeup for costumes and you...

Also, there’s stuff like face primer and translucent powder that you can pick up in the regular cosmetics aisle that will help makeup adhere to your face, but I don’t know how well they’d work with a greasepaint-type, since they’re made more for light foundations.

4 Likes

I THINK I finally have all the parts ordered or on hand for my kids costume. Now, I need to just focus, and do the actual WORK on both hers and mine.

3 Likes

I’m sorry for not offering this makeup advice earlier but the year I went out as an Andorian I used cheap greasepaint and coated it with even cheaper talcum powder. The talcum seemed to help the makeup stay in place and gave it a dry appearance.

I wore it for about ten hours and only needed occasional touch-ups through the day. As you can see I got a bit of makeup on my costume, but that was poor planning on my part. I put the makeup on first.

15 Likes

Don’t use talcum powder (bad to breathe in, even the kind with no asbestos). Use corn starch instead. Yeah, the stuff in your kitchen cupboard is fine.

6 Likes

Making lots of progress. Will share soon - but come on - NO ONE else is costume making for themselves or kids?

4 Likes

Not me, but I do dig seeing other peoples. I could do a mean Fat Joker with a purple jacket and some face paint though.

2 Likes

I’m boring: I wear the same (homemade, once upon a time) costume every year. Easy peasy!

3 Likes