Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Alright, I feel the toast sandwich thread closed well before we were done with it, so would like to add this to the mix, for your consideration and so we might continue the conversation, if warranted.

7 Likes

take me love GIF

Blockquote

5 Likes

Reopened.

7 Likes

Go Fig your.:wink:

12 Likes

Yum. I’m eyeballing the fig bushes/trees next door. They’re almost ready, and the neighbor doesn’t eat them.

9 Likes

I have a fig tree that I planted that gets plenty of figs but they never get ripe. Not fertilized? No fig wasps in my hood?

8 Likes

Generally this is due to high heat and low water, followed by nutrients (both lack of, and over fertilizing). If the tree is getting enough water, and it’s not overly hot, and if you aren’t already fertilizing, then a low-grade basic fertilizer can help (8-8-8, or a bulky, non-concentrated manure scooped straight from the field). Not too much nitrogen, and do it outside the spread of the tree.

6 Likes

Turned out tonight was the night to grab the first few.

For context

Paired with

10 Likes

Oh yes, please.

3 Likes

How are you going to make a toast sandwich with that?

6 Likes

Good information. Thank you.

3 Likes

Good product placement? #Safeway

9 Likes

Orange Rosemary Chamomile ‘Cello

1.75L Sky Vodka
1 packed cup fresh rosemary, crushed/mashed
1 oz dried chamomile
Zest of 12 oranges
1L Everclear (to be added 2 days after this pic)

It’ll sit for four weeks.

9 Likes

Skip the Everclear and swap the orange zest for honey (or brown sugar) and you have my mums household remedy for colds.

5 Likes

This better be good, because zesting 12 oranges sounds like my idea of hell

7 Likes

Last time we had a fig tree we had to share figs with lorikeets during the day and flying foxes at night, but still had way more than we could eat and give away. No photos of the bats, but the birbs were very photogenic.

13 Likes

For us it was, and is, warm bourbon, honey, and lemon.

@Doctor_Faustus I suspect it’s not going to be enough orange zest. But it was the rosemary that was gross. The stuff that makes up our hedges is all oily and sticky when it’s freshly cut.

5 Likes

JELL-O
Anyone else grow up with this tricky way for Mom to get you to eat more fruits and vegetables?

8 Likes

One Christmas, my grandmother gave all her granddaughters (but not her grandsons) the local Women’s Auxiliary cookbook from her small town in northern Wisconsin. As a long-time vegetarian, I flipped past virtually all of the chapters and went straight to the only one other than dessert that was not named after a form of animal protein: Salads.

Every single ‘salad’ was gelatin-based. None had any green leafy vegetable in them. About half had no vegetables of any kind.

11 Likes

Tricky :wink:

6 Likes