Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Stealing that phrase!

8 Likes

Hahahahaaa…
BOBs Red Mill!
I was just talking to a Union Sister about mixing Franks Hot Sauce ( really any hot sauce) with jam or jelly.
And decided to add him to this mix!

7 Likes

learned this recipe when i was staying in Belize several years ago and made it today for the mum and me.
Belizean style beans and rice with stewed chicken. small red beans (not pinto or kidney beans) are stewd with chicken parts (i prefer bone-in, skin-on thighs) with ginger, onion, garlic and peppers. cook 1.5 cups of rice in 3 cups coconut milk and add to the cooked chicken and beans in the last 15 minutes to soak up the stock. serve with hot habanero sauce and cold beer! (can’t get Beliken in the states, so Modelo will have to do).

really enjoyed my time in Corozal Town in the north of Belize. short trip to the city at Chetumal, Mexico for big shopping at Chedraui’s. would have stayed and become a Permant Resident, but ended up in the Conch, where i didn’t have immigration/ emigration worries.

13 Likes

Yummy! Also, a great beer choice too.

6 Likes

My version of a ploughman’s lunch.

Half a cinnamon-raisin bagel sliced thinly, buttered, sprinkled (generously!) with shredded Parmesan, microwaved for a minute. In my version the cinnamon and raisins stand in for the pickle (a chutney-like condiment).

(Some people say you shouldn’t microwave bread, because that makes it chewy, but that’s one of the things I like about it—start with a chewy bagel, microwave it to make it even more chewy, and, yum! Maximum Chewiness.)

Where was I?…Oh yeah— I am missing the beer and onions, so be it. As I said, it’s MY version of a ploughman’s lunch. Today, it is the snow-shoveler’s lunch.

Wait, you say people have been eating bread and cheese for, like, ever, and the “ploughman’s lunch” is just a marketing term invented in England in 1957 by the Cheese Bureau? Get out!

Well, with no onions or beer, perhaps this is actually my version of a cheese and pickle sandwich? An open-faced version, if you will.

12 Likes

You lost me at cinnamon raisin bagel, but you do you!

7 Likes

Lol, I know! It’s the only non-traditional bagel I’ll buy, and only because the loaves of cinnamon-raisin bread that I used to buy to make cheese sandwiches with aren’t around anymore. I still miss that bread, and the c-r bagels are the closest thing. I really don’t think of them as “bagels”.

6 Likes

Ah, so it’s more like a tea sandwich: cream cheese and cinnamon raisin toast. Got it!

5 Likes

Everything is a sandwich when you put it between two slices of bread.

6 Likes

Which means people like to compare how great inventions are to bread sandwiches. :thinking:

4 Likes

Shirley this is an unnecessary level of redundancy?

5 Likes

An Everything sandwich? A sandwich with Everything in it? How could that even be, because wouldn’t the bread that you’d put on either side of Everything be part of Everything?

4 Likes

Give me a fulcrum long enough an oven large enough…

4 Likes

You need to use the bagel, silly!

3 Likes

The ultimate Everything Bagel!

3 Likes

Oooh, yeah. Gotta love the call back:

8 Likes
10 Likes

download (7)

download (8)

11 Likes

A little bit of gochujang adds a nice kick to Mac & Cheese.

9 Likes

some sort of pepper sauce is a “must-add”, IMO! i love how it kicks up the flavor of mac-n-cheese.

8 Likes