Harvey hits hard, TX governor issues mandatory evacuations as 'catastrophic flood' risks loom

nice portmanteau. also appropriate as hell.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to bandwagon, but yes…today, Melizmatic, you win.

UNTIL NEXT TIME, HERO! turns into a bat and flies away

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s an old one that I coined, but don’t often use, but this seemed like an apt time…

1 Like

In Capitalist America, every real citizen owns amphibious Hummer. Ve have no need for zis, vhat you call, “pub-lick trans-port”.

3 Likes

http://www.fox26houston.com/live

ongoing local coverage

1 Like

We have 12" rain gauge, dumped it twice in two days since it has been overflowing. I’ve been going down the street from time to time to pull garbage out of the storm sewer grates so the street stops flooding so bad.
Supposedly three or more days of this to go. But my family has been extremely fortunate given what going on around us.

10 Likes

I have not bothered with trying the rain gauge, the rain has been so sideways that I found water coming in through the roof vents with no actual damage to the roof or leaks anywhere - just rain being blown into covered vents.

Everyone I know is safe even the ones down south near NASA, the rescue efforts have been tremendous and the death toll is shockingly low (and hopefully remains that way).

6 Likes

Yikes.

3 Likes

Off topic, but after WW2 Lord Boothby toured Eastern Europe in a chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce. Wherever he stopped crowds gathered, and he would then tell them “In the Capitalist West everybody has one of these.”

Back on topic, both in this country and the US one of the problems seems to be that we are anxious to conceal and ignore the levels of actual poverty, and thus response to disasters is always inadequate. In the Soviet Union the same thing happened once the dire state of the country could no longer be blamed on capitalism.

6 Likes

Last major evacuation cost 100 people’s lives for a hurricane that did a lot less damage, if people want to apply hindsight focus on the climate change aspect that has flooded Houston every single year and will continue to. These storms will just continue to hit harder and harder and the droughts in between will get worse and worse.

As of right now, it is extremely hard to say the response wasn’t adequate. The current death toll is extremely low, though it will spike as the worst hit areas are investigated. Considering Rita’s evacuation and how different the storm has behaved compared to predictions there isn’t any evidence to say what could have been done differently.

7 Likes

Was that the one where most people died from heatstroke, dehydration, and fire while trapped in the gridlock on the highways, while there were only a few casualties from the actual hurricane and flooding itself? That sort of thing gives some sober perspective on why some would choose to stay even if they have the means and ability to take off on an unplanned and unscheduled trip of unknown duration.

2 Likes

I wonder how Johnson Space Center is making out.

1 Like

nice LOL :slight_smile:

1 Like

Clear Lake is basically under water, so not well.

1 Like
11 Likes

Why did I read the comments? :rage:

4 Likes

Now there’s a word for our times.

1 Like

Pegasus rescue!

5 Likes