Hours after worst mass shooting in US history, Trump "appreciates the congrats for being right"

Christ, what an asshole.

5 Likes

I know.

2 Likes

I eagerly await the statements from rightwing pundits condemning the rush to politicise a tragedy.

5 Likes

Trump’s unwilling to use the word “homophobia”, and the Indiana terrorist who was stopped before attacking the Pride parade in Santa Monica doesn’t have Islamist connections.

Meanwhile, the NRA hasn’t yet put out statements about “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun in a bar is a drunk guy in a bar with a gun” or “Of course Latinos should be allowed to carry concealed weapons, whether they’re documented or not” or “Homophobia’s nasty - gay people should all be carrying guns in today’s America.”

8 Likes

Yesterday I was walking a friend’s chihuahua, which had been ill the day before and did a particularly horrific-looking shit in the park. I mention it because that shit was a better and more attractive person than Donald Trump will ever be.

13 Likes

True. And Tim McVeigh was a radical Christian. Never did see much reporting about that, nor did I hear it from the presidents mouth.

I suspect if we stopped doing quite so much to increase animosity towards the US in the Islamic world, it would reduce to a simmer. Things like, you know… ending the drone war and closing the prison at Guantnamo. It would be a start.

treating symptoms rarely does work in the long run, but it can be palliative.

9 Likes

Do you really think the “Terror Watch List” should be used to hamper peopel’s fundamental rights when it has shown to be wrong OFTEN with no transparency as to how erors occurred and that those errors are often uncorrected even after those mistakenly on the list go through great great efforts? TWL is a great example of how our government gets it wrong, and you are going to slag on the NRA for saying that the TWL as a screener is a bad thing?

Support personal freedom.
Freedom in personal privacy, (end the war on privacy)
Freedom to consume what we choose to (end the war on drugs)
Freedom to use our property as we like (end the war on general purpose computing)
Freedom to protect ourselves (end the war on armed citizens)

1 Like

It does that already. My problem is with politicians who say “it’s cool to use the terror watch list to restrict fundamental rights like free travel or gainful employment, but using it to stop those same people from buying dangerous assault weapons is a step too far.”

35 Likes

I agree, that that is completely lame and two faced to do so. It is either a useful tool or not, but I think TWL as employed is just part of the wasted resources on security theater. Thanks for your clarification.

4 Likes

Even if ISIS/Daesh were directly responsible, how is Trump’s response supposed to make sense? A horrible terrorist attack prompts the president of the most powerful nation on Earth to “immediately step down?” Sure, as long as you don’t send any messages that make them feel emboldened.

9 Likes

You mean like the Florida shooter?

3 Likes

I guess I am missing the “law biding” tag that usually goes along with that phrase.

1 Like

I don’t have any problem with someone owning a hunting rifle or shotgun in any number. What I don’t understand is the insistence that by default a U.S. citizen should be allowed to own a handgun or high-capacity semi. Given their capabilities, you would think a special license with stringent approval guidelines (including a statement from the applicant explaining their need for one) would be required to obtain such firearms.

6 Likes

You’re missing it because of your prejudice. You think of citizens as the white people who are law abiding and therefore deserving of rights, including gun ownership. But of course the vast majority of violence and mass shootings are done by “law abiding” citizens - law abiding right up until the point where they open fire in a club or a movie theater or a church. You just don’t get it; easy access to guns means more violence, more mass shootings, more dead citizens. All for what - to protect this notion that we cannot have any check on gun ownership, not even for mental health, not even for those deemed a menace, not even for those on a terrorist watch list, not even for those who are part of a hate group, not even for those who are violent against their family member, spouses, or others?

Your ideology is inherently racist. You want unfettered gun ownership for white people, but not for anyone who is of Arab descent, and certainly not for black or Latinos who, in your mind are probably all of a criminal class. But unfortunately for you, the law doesn’t allow for your kind of discrimination, so when you advocate for “gun rights” you have to advocate for the rights of people like the shooter in Florida and every other mass shooter in the last 10 years. And that puts you in the position of defending terrorists. You don’t want to do that, of course, but that’s the corner you’ve painted yourself in to.

So stand tall, be proud. Your defense of unfettered access to guns has killed another 50 people tonight. That’s just a drop in the bucket though, compared to the thousands more who will die this year because of your principled stand against a war that doesn’t exist; the war against “armed citizens.”

16 Likes

So if we manage to avoid Trump and end up with Hillary, then what? She’ll do something about rich scumbags?

There’s a difference between “no improvement” and “intentionally making things much worse.” I know your opinion on this, and others have successfully argued your shitshow opinion into the ground where it belongs. I’m gonna leave it there.

3 Likes

Yes, my shit show opinion is that Clinton will do jack shit about Rich Scumbags.

5 Likes

yeah, it’s trump. who knows how his mind works. forget it, Jake, it’s trumptown.

3 Likes

I’m digging out my gas mask from the Bush Sr era.

The phrase; “You can’t make this stuff up comes to mind.”

2 Likes