Humiliated Trump issues ultimatum to GOP: pass healthcare act now or I'll never repeal Obamacare

Ha. . . it took Democrats months to write the ACA, and the GOP thinks they can come up with a magical bill that will satisfy their ideological desires, but also won’t hurt them during mid-term elections, all within just a few weeks.

Trump either has no idea what’s actually in this bill, or he’s completely forgotten that he promised “coverage for all at a lower cost.” (Pssst. . . Donnie. . . you know how you cover everyone at a lower cost to the consumer? True socialized medicine, government option/single payer/etc.)

The fact is, the GOP doesn’t actually want to deal with health care, never did, because their ideology says “you’re on your own, kiddo”, but they just spent 7 years campaigning against Obamacare so now they have to do something. The best they can do is repeal the ACA, replace it with the exact same law, but call it something else and claim a victory.

20 Likes

./blame liberals | ./takeGovernment | ./breakShit 2>./blame liberals

The system feels more like a disturbed unstable equilibrium that is about to get wild. A lot of white people with guns and fewer options everyday and authorities telling them it’s your and my fault.

12 Likes

“Road trip, kids! Mommy needs an emergency cardiology appointment so we’re going to Montana.”

20 Likes

My R congressman has declared that he won’t vote for the thing, mostly because he’s in a section of the country that went all blue last fall. I wrote him a note today letting him know that I was aware that the vote was delayed today and I looked forward to seeing his support of his constituents in the Congressional Record when the time came.

I hope he’s sweating it out tonight.

21 Likes

I really hope it bombs because I want Trump to be humiliated. Then, in second place, I hope it bombs because it would harm the country.

(I think it will end up passing. Which will be propagandized into “The president’s wildly popular bill easily passed the House.”)

10 Likes

if anything i wish democrats, since they know they can’t support anything from 45, take this time that they have to introduce real plans ( that will fail ) to stake out territory for the midterms.

i’d love if there were a “medicare for all bill” with all its costs and savings on the table. it’ll take a lot to work though, i feel they might as well start now.

12 Likes

Perhaps it is time for the Representatives to remind Trump that repeal or enactment of legislation is not in his power to offer or deny; that Congress is a co-equal power; that they are not his bitches.
Or not.

6 Likes

Honestly, I think it actually passing is America’s best chance of having a workable healthcare system within a decade.

It is grossly unfair, manifestly unworkable and is going to fuck over a lot of people. However, there are a hardcore of ideologues who won’t accept that any other approach is correct until this has been implemented and shown to fail. Ironically, they’re the ones who will be hurt most by it.

Here’s hoping whatever emerges from the rubble in a few years isn’t quite so incredibly stupid…

2 Likes

Humiliated Trump issues ultimatum to GOP: pass healthcare act now or I’ll never repeal Obamacare

Trump has nothing to do with submitting the bill. Legislation starts with Ryan and McConnell and the Republicans. You really think they would make 35 repeal attempts under Obama, but they’ll just give up and go home after the first attempt under Trump?

2 Likes

Don’t use relative paths. They tend to sabotage the gravy during holidays, and complain about the cranberry sauce.

On a serious note, while I don’t doubt social issues and financial stress will continue to propel the gop, I just don’t see how they can remove an entitlement this vast. I prefer single payer, but I’ll take ACA over anything pre mid 2000’s.

13 Likes

And the Democrats at least tried to get some consensus by building the structure on a Republican plan, and Obama spent months getting some Republican support. Trump seems to think that a few days and some phone calls ought to be enough, and that’s just for his “own” side (not that I think Trump is a Republican, really.)

8 Likes

Hello,

While I’ve not been particularly impressed by any of the enfant terrible’s machinations, this one is actually pretty smart (relatively-speaking):

• If Congress passes the Trumpcare Act, Trump gets to take credit for having made it happen and proclaims what a great businessman President he is.

• If Congress doesn’t pass the Trumpcare Act, Trump has shifted blame directly away from himself. The GOP may grumble, but party unity may be more important to the rank-and-file and they’ll capitulate.

Either way, it seems like a win-win situation for Trump.

5 Likes

I hate these disgusting turds. Women’s health is human health. Why is there any debate that birth control is funded? Is it because (titter titter titter) it’s a about babies?? Grow up assholes. It’s about women being able to make their own fucking health decisions.

34 Likes

This is a great article.

Why are economically struggling blue collar voters rejecting a party that offers to expand public safety net programs? The reality is that the bulk of needy white voters are not interested in the public safety net. They want to restore their access to an older safety net, one much more generous, dignified, and stable than the public system – the one most well-employed voters still enjoy.

16 Likes

There are no “moderate Republicans”. There are just fascists and collaborators.

6 Likes

And now I have that song in my head…thanks!

2 Likes

You’re right, that is a great article. I’m absolutely amazed it came out in Forbes.

4 Likes

It really is fantastic. I hesitated to read it when a friend pointed me to it last week, primarily because it was from Forbes, but it really explains the resistance to the ACA perfectly.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, MY Rep. is Lamar Smith, who’s a full fledged member of the Gohmert School of Stupid, so that ain’t gonna work for me

4 Likes

Nope, sorry. It don’t work like that. These idjits will simply blame the failure on NOT GOING FAR ENOUGH. Your optimism, such as it is is sorta nice, but nope…

10 Likes