Humiliated Trump issues ultimatum to GOP: pass healthcare act now or I'll never repeal Obamacare

[quote=“some_guy, post:41, topic:97607”]
Trump either has no idea what’s actually in this bill, or he’s completely forgotten that he promised “coverage for all at a lower cost.”
[/quote]That is very likely it’s both there :slight_smile:

Thats like rightwinger kryptonite there. “But how would the extremely wealthy extract mass profits from that?”*

*Even though technically, the very wealthy would profit if they just looked at the larger picture: a happier population that’d have more money to spend in the economy.

14 Likes

Indeed, i’m fed up of this here in the UK, where the only solution to the failure of rightwing policy is more extreme rightwing policy…

13 Likes

At this point most Republicans are too scared to make that kind of stand. They’re not scared of Trump, they’re scared of the people that elected him and the possibilities that they might lose their primaries if they fought with him before his popularity with THEIR highly gerrymandered electorate.

I would argue that if he were ACTUALLY the great negotiator that he thinks he is, we would negotiate a deal with Democrats that cuts out the Freedom Caucus. Otherwise he will be their bitch for the next four years, just like Ryan. The only way to escape that is to actually get things done without them. Merely trying to take his ball and go home leave him stuck with them because he needs a working government more than they do

Edited to add…Not that I think of it this really isn’t possible. While it look like Trump is only interested in making a deal and getting his name on it rather than what is IN the deal, Ryan HAS a policy agenda, and even though he’d like to bring the Freedom Caucus to heel, he has a definite opinion about what he wants “healthcare reform” to look like. And he would never allow a plan that would get votes from Democrats to be voted on.

.[quote=“ChickieD, post:53, topic:97607”]
Why is there any debate that birth control is funded?
[/quote]
I’ve never understood this. Doesn’t effective birth control have a negative net cost? Pregnancy is MUCH more expensive than birth control. Shouldn’t hobby lobby have to pay extra if they want to offer a plan that doesn’t include birth control?

13 Likes

Cheap healthcare coverage for everyone (what Trump promised) is actually not an unreasonable idea. Most countries that are otherwise comparable to the USA are doing it and on the whole it seems to work fairly well.

What is clear right now is that the US pays way more public money for healthcare (on top of what people pay out of pocket) than any other first-world country, but the resulting health outcomes generally fall way short of those elsewhere. In concrete numbers, according to the World Bank, in 2014 per-capita health expenditure (public and private) in the US was $9,403 while in the EU it was only $3,613, but people in the USA aren’t three times as healthy than people in Europe. Government expenditure on health was 21.3% of total government expenditure in the US, but only 16.5% in the UK, where basically the whole country is on the equivalent of Medicare/Medicaid. In terms of GDP, the US are spending 17.1% of the country’s GDP on health where other comparable countries tend to hover around 10% (all in 2014).

It is highly likely that by moving to a universal government-mandated health care system both the government of the USA and their citizens would save money, and health outcomes would actually improve. On a rational level, this should appeal even to fiscal conservatives – the only thing that stands in its way is ideology.

9 Likes

The graphic is old.

It doesn’t include removing all of the “essential services.”

6 Likes

They are not fans of Trump.

I’ve been thinking about the article posted and about Trump being “humiliated.”

I think that this assume Trump gives a crap about healthcare or about keeping his promises. Trump has proven one thing; he cares about power.

Bannon has been setting up Ryan to take the fall for the failure of repealing the ACA for some time now. I think the White House could care less about passing this bill. I think they want it to fail, which is why they are forcing a vote before it can pass. Then with Ryan neutered, the White House is the seat of power.

2 Likes

I’m not sure about that. Trump’s selling point for himself as President was as a deal-maker, a businessman who could Get Things Done and break through the gridlock, and he took on the healthcare act as a personal task. Right now it looks to the outside world as if it’s failing in great part due to his personal negotiations and interference. By making this so personal, he’s made the potential failure of this act his failure, rather than Paul Ryan’s.

4 Likes

Why do they need a “replacement” at all? Why don’t they just grow some balls and stand by their bullshit and say: “We’re stripping away ACA and each of you can deal with the health insurance industry on your own, just like we tell you to do with employers, and with the environmental issues, and legal disputes with corporations, etc…” Milksop motherfuckers.

5 Likes

No, Bannon has been getting articles on Breitbart for months now branding this all “Ryancare.” I don’t think he’ll see it as a personal failure. I think he believes as long as he sticks the blame on Ryan he is fine. It’s all about branding.

3 Likes

In business someone like Trump can strong-arm a partner or adversary, in politics it’s a bit different-- you can’t send lawyers after a Senator who refuses to vote your way, and you can’t fire him/her either. Trump’s legend as a negotiator stems from instances where he screwed people over, I don’t think he’s willing to give the Democrats anything.

If Trump is angry and frustrated now because the GOP aren’t willing to shoot themselves in the foot for him, then how would he feel if the DEMs took back majorities in congress during the mid-terms?

2 Likes

I absolutely agree that the Breitbart / Drudge crowd will want torches and pitchforks for Ryan. I’m thinking more of USA Today / CNN readers who’ll see FAILURE FOR TRUMP headlines.

7 Likes

We have that in the UK - Because as well as the NHS, there’s plenty of private HC choices too.
here’s my quotes for me and my family (45yo me and wife, and two teens)

3 Likes

On Twitter, Charles Stross commented thusly:

“52% of men say they haven’t benefited from oxygen in atmosphere” – invisible until it goes away!

12 Likes

They had him on emoluments day one if they wanted.

The thing about impeachment is that there aren’t really any rules. The only rule to not get impeached is to make sure congress doesn’t want to impeach you, and the only justification congress needs to impeach is the belief that they’ll get re-elected if they do.

I think Trump could have positioned this as Ryan’s bill, and then when it started to fall apart he could have said, “Look, let’s do tax reform first.” He’s invested in this bill, though. Making ultimatums and having people call you on them doesn’t look like a win.

14 Likes

This is starting to sound familiar…

(Yes, it’s satire - but oh so believable)

30 Likes

I really wouldn’t call that satire IMHO :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I really hope we don’t get to the point where, having exhausted all other attempts to educate these myopic troglodytes, we have to rally all their mistresses into staging a “Day Without Birth Control” protest to knock some fucking sense into them.

10 Likes

Well, okay, possibly just a fair summary of the mindset. :wink:

4 Likes

This. Especially part-time employers who limit the hours of their workers so that they don’t have to pay any of their health care costs or other mandatory benefits for full-time employees. We see this with all kinds of service industry jobs, Walmart being the most widely-used examples. Americans for Tax Fairness estimated that for every 300 employees, Walmart cost the taxpayers about $1,325,000 in assistance provided to them in the form of food stamps, medicaid, and other “entitlements.” That totaled about $6 billion for all the Walmart employees nationwide. Every year. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to service industry jobs, as our new Labor Secretary Andrew “Where’s the Beef” Puzder will soon show us.

And it’s worth noting that about 80% of all the people on Medicaid work. So that benefit, which is funded by the taxpayers, is enjoyed as a benefit that employers get to avoid paying for their employees. Money in their corporate pockets.

The solution should be pretty simple; add an employer-side payroll tax to cover entitlement benefits, based on the hours worked. We’d probably run a surplus if we did that, since many people who work part-time jobs, end up working multiple jobs. They work (often) more than full-time, just not with any one employer.

20 Likes

True, unfortunately I can’t determine their current path because they seem to have replaced pwd with a script that outputs “But what about these leaks!?”

I really hope you are right. I want to believe that they couldn’t spin an unregulated healthcare disaster into somehow being e.g. the LGBTs fault, but a damn good portion of them believe Obama is a lizard so…

3 Likes