I Saw This Today

:love_letter:

I like that the evil are selling way better than the good!

3 Likes

Okay this wasn’t today, but it’s hard to get a photo of this guy:

This is “Ferrari Guy” who comes to the local Starbucks, in full-on Ferrari gear, and plants this sign that he carries around in the parking lot. Notice anything else in the photo?

That’s a Miata with a Ferrari logo slapped on it.

7 Likes

That’s hysterical! :revolving_hearts: I was thinking it didn’t look like a Ferrari, but I thought it might have been some odd model that I’ve never seen.

2 Likes

In the Air Tonight is weirdly enough one of those pop records that became a hip-hop/dj culture record. This is due in great part to the fact that it was recorded with a click-track that was taken out of the final recording, which means that the super-long acappella part at the beginning will synch with any track you mix it with, and then you can kill that track when Phil’s booming drums take over, and the next track you want to mix—even though Air Tonight has the human Phil drumming–will mix right into that, too, since everything was initially recorded to a computerized, clockwork rhythm in the studio. This, coupled with the song’s general appeal, makes it a good weapon in a DJs arsenal (or, “made” it a good weapon, but it does have eternal appeal in the hand of a skilled jockey [clears throat].)

for instance, the first time I saw the rapper Redman, his DJ was warming up the crowd with that song.

“Summer Breeze” is originally Seals and Croft (?–or some group in a similar vein) but it was covered to great effect by the Isley Bros in their funky, 70s incarnation, so maybe that explains that one. I only knew the Isley version until I saw an infomercial for soft rock hits of the 70s on TV, I didn’t even know about the original.

1 Like

when all I could see was the top part of your post, I was like “OK, she took a pic of a Miata… guess I’ll have to enlarge it to read the sign?”

they’re weird, and they’re out there.

2 Likes

I know people used to (still do?) buy kits to convert Toyota MR2s into Ferrari-alikes.

2 Likes

I always thought the MR2 was so flavor, just in-and-of-itself. Loved how angular it was. Had the RC version as a kid.

I read not too long ago, on a car-buff board, that they still have a following and people who make parts for them as hobbyist, poor-man’s hot-rods. But even if I were into cars: I, as a tall Westerner, I do not fit into the small, sporty Asian two-seaters. The buffs said trying to do so would be an exercise in frustration.

4 Likes

The original? I’ve had a ride in one, and I’d have bought one, but by the time I was old enough to be able to afford the insurance the car itself was so old that it wasn’t a sensible buy (if it ever would have been). The later versions just didn’t appeal.

I’m short enough that they’d work fine for me. If finances ever allow, I still want to build my own Caterham, though.

2 Likes

Liked! :love_letter:

1 Like
2 Likes

I wanted to post a link to James Cagney and Cara Williams singing the hilarious “I’m Sorry, I want a Ferrari,” but Universal seems to have been thorough with takedown notices.

My mechanic has one not-quite-working in his garage. It has been there for 20 years.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight. The guys, Naturally Seven were really entertaining – they did a five song set opening for Diana Ross…

1 Like

That is what I had always assumed; that it was one of those older model roundy Ferraris that I just wasn’t familiar with; not being a person who really notices cars. But it was when my daughter’s friend said “Uh, I’m pretty sure my brother has that exact Miata.” that we looked more closely.

One of my other friends suggested that the guy doesn’t actually know it’s a Miata.

3 Likes

When you see it…

2 Likes

Type O Negative does a great cover of this as well

They also did a cover of Neil Young’s Cinnamon Girl (another Certified White People song)

1 Like

I’ll admit I was skeptical about the Summer Breeze cover, but damned if they didn’t pull it off. Now, when Faith No More covered the Lionel Richie EZ listening chestnut Easy (Like A Sunday Morning,) their version was virtually indistinguishable.

1 Like

…a friend just got me the Usagi Yojimbo Special Edition :smile:

2 Likes

Technically, I was driving so I asked my daughter to take the photos for me. Hopefully that’s still kosher!

We’re driving along in stop-and-go traffic on an interstate and all of a sudden she says “is that a covered wagon up ahead?”

We knew even before we caught up with the driver that he would be grizzled and have a long natural beard. Yup! You could tell he could build anything he needed to from scrap. Total props to this dude:

Don’t know if you can see it, but he had a Colorado license plate (we were in Indiana). Heading home, I guess!

15 Likes

If ever I saw a stoner-mobile, that’s it! I particularly like the sheet metal repair/modification on the back of the car end.

6 Likes

A friend of my dad built a seven clone kit car years ago. She used a Triumph Dolly sprint as the donor car, and the damn thing would pull wheelies in second gear.

2 Likes