In-N-Out Burger is headed East!

As a Nashvillian I can tell you if you want a burger, fries, and a milkshake, you’re better off with an option that’s not “looking to expand”.

6 Likes

I stayed in a non-cable or stream place recently and was shocked by all the back to back fast food and drink commercials on the TV. Wow. It’s as if no other food exists.

3 Likes

Yes temper them for In-N-Out too, was ok for me.

1 Like

It’s a foodie nitpick, but that’s not how traditional fries are made. Traditional fries are cut, soaked, then double-fried (once at lower temp, then removed, then a second time at higher temp for a short time). It makes a big difference in taste and texture.

5 Likes

Fair, the way you describe is better and has been around a long time. But obviously there are many different traditions. Apparently horse fat was the standard frying oil used in Belgium and Northern France until fairly recently.

2 Likes

I drove past the northernmost In-N-Out outpost on Sunday afternoon. The drive through line was hundreds of cars long. No thanks!

2 Likes

even i, a vegetarian, know that when you are there, you ask for the fries “hard” or “double fried” to get them crispy.

1 Like

I have it on good authority In-n-Out is vastly overrated (like 5 Guys). We have Culver’s in the Great Lakes region and, in Ohio, a fantastic small chain called Swenson’s. That’s all we need, thank you.

2 Likes

It’s like that at LAX too. The border outposts are always busy.

1 Like

Yep, totally agree. The method is fantastic, but the taste falls apart SO FAST. I always kicked myself when I forgot to eat the fries first. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

7 Likes

YARN | It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em. | Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) | Video clips by quotes | e05b4cb8 | 紗

4 Likes

I dislike the fries, they are crazy starchy but the best way to eat them is animal style. And the burgers are also best tried Animal Style

2 Likes

We do have a 5 Guys in my town and they are pretty good and consistent. Of course, I’ve found that the best burgers tend to be local mom and pop establishments. However, 5 Guys is one of the few chains that comes closest to the good local burger joints.

2 Likes

Anyone – ANYONE – can easily make a burger that tastes 100X better than fast food burgers… whatever the fast food joint. But… if I had to make a f/f choice… I’d be In-n-out. The only GREAT burger I’ve ever had outside of my own kitchen was at Junior’s Restaurant in Brooklyn. Huge thing that you could barely get your jaws around. 15 bucks, though.

3 Likes

look. for chain drive-thru/ drive-up burgers it’s What-A-Burger or Sonic or STFU!
do we need to update Teh List?

7 Likes

i feel like the only reason this place is a big deal is because it’s regional and there aren’t that many of them - it creates a sort of consumer scarcity that drives up demand. If it was as common as Burger King or Wendy’s, i feel like no one would care. The food is fine but it’s really not that special.

4 Likes

even the animal style isn’t that great if you don’t eat them immediately. i mean that sauce can’t make up for cold starchy flavorless fries and a hardened layer of american cheese.

1 Like

I thought the only reason was because their burgers were infinitely expandable- you could order a burger with, like, 8 patties, or 15, or 50. Theoretically. Not advised and likely not done very often, but I guess people are easily impressed by quirky stuff like that and it’s enough to give them a reputation?

2 Likes

I went on holiday to SF in July form the uk, and i made sure to go to the in and out, and get the tshirt while i was there, as it was on every list of things to do in SF and i have to say i hated the fries, they just made me question their existence with every mouth full, what had they done to them to make them taste so different, so i fully support you dislike of them, I did not hate them, i would prob just never buy them again, the burger was all right.

1 Like