In Trump's shambolic White House, staffers who can't find the light-switches literally hold meetings in the dark

I would have voted for him.

7 Likes

My sympathy for Melania is tempered by the knowledge that this is largely the life she chose, but I still can’t blame her for wanting to put as much distance between herself and her husband as humanely possible. She looks positively miserable every time they appear in public together.

28 Likes

I have to say… yes. I think its turtles all the way down.

6 Likes

I couldn’t care less what she does. But I resent paying a fortune to keep her somewhere else, and to protect her adult step children.

21 Likes

“One official in attendance said that when Michael Flynn, Trump’s national security adviser, and his deputy, KT McFarland, were asked to describe specifically what the president’s “America First” mantra would mean for policy, they largely reiterated Trump’s campaign assurances that he could put U.S. interests ahead of those of other countries.”

Duh.

I’m definitely leaning towards “incompetence”, although Bannon’s own moves might be more “low cunning” he can’t manage Trump and the entire cabinet himself. How soon before some low-level idiot they hired is live-streaming a private meeting on his Facebook page for his college buddies to see?

6 Likes

Agreed.

“While Melania is making up her mind, it’s reportedly costing New York City around $1 million per day to keep the Trump family safe. That is, on a yearly basis, over twice the budget of the National Endowment for the Arts’ budget, which Trump intends to cut.” CNN Money

18 Likes

Yes, I agree with that, but more than that, I am bothered that there isn’t someone to fulfill the functions of First Lady. There were rumors Ivanka would do it. I mean, there seems to be no one to fill the role. No chef? It’s weird.

8 Likes

My issue is that the First Lady functions are not being attended to. I wish her the best with her attempt to spend as little time as possible with her husband.

6 Likes

it’s very … baroque … to have a (semi?)formal institution like the first lady’s office.

I don’t think this should be a big story, if she has no interest in fulfilling this role no one has reasons to criticize her.

4 Likes

To be fair, I honestly don’t think she actually knew what she was signing on for when she married him.

Just to be clear, it’s not my intent to disparage Melania; but to demonstrate that I cannot fathom any other reason why any sane woman would consent to be such a repugnant and thoroughly unappealing man’s wife, aside from financial gain.

34 Likes

No, the White House serves a government function. It is a showplace for the world. State dinners are an important function. Having the White House open to the public is an historic institution.

I don’t care if his wife does this work or whether it’s another person, but it should be done.

28 Likes

I thought Ivanka would end up doing it, too.

I mean, she said she’d divest all her business interests (which she hasn’t, but the stores that sell her stuff might be doing that for her).

First Lady isn’t an official role though, is it? Is there anything that has to be done? Maybe they just won’t bother with the egg rolling and all that stuff?

Does anyone really want to go to a State dinner with Trump?

I suspect this administration may just not bother with a lot of the statecraft stuff, or just bring someone in from Mar a Lago to do it, defrost some Trump steaks from Sharper Image or whatever. He doesn’t seem to care at all about how the US is perceived abroad.

15 Likes

She may have been hopelessly naive when she thought he could provide her a better life, but then again so were 45% of American voters.

17 Likes

HR dept? contract a headhunter?

as I will never be invited to the White House I couldn’t care less about the chef, but it is imo weird that something like a first lady’s office exist, with a seemingly strictly defined field of responsibility

7 Likes

If 45% of American voters had gone into it knowing that they had to deal with the man face to face on a daily basis, to have sex with him, and to bear him a male child (I have no doubts whatsoever that part is officially there, somewhere in their prenup) maybe the result would have been different.

Now please excuse me while I go vomit from that unpleasant mental imagery.

20 Likes

I keep wondering which is the more horrific of these two dystopic scenarios:
Trump succeeding? Or Trump failing?

7 Likes

I’ve never underestimated money’s power over repugnance. (And in a big enough mansion/estate/5 star hotel, one could avoid the other.)

:wink:

4 Likes

I’m inclined to assume these people who can’t find lightswitches are really just trying to hide from surveillance cameras so nobody can prove who was at a meeting. Meeting secretly in the dark seems more likely than their not having someone to ask where the switches are.

4 Likes

First Lady plays a huge role. I know people act like it’s all fluff and nonsense, but all the day to day running of the White House trappings is the First Lady’s business. It’s a lot of work.

13 Likes

I’m not saying that I have.

I simply cannot fathom having to fuck such a loathsome creature on a regular basis, and having to pretend that I enjoy it; not for all the money in the world.

I’m just not wired like that; or maybe it’s just that I’ve never been to that level of destitution and poverty where such a shitty choice seems like a viable solution.

15 Likes