'Iran or its proxies are planning a sneak attack on U.S,' tweets Trump

30 Likes

Ed Anger rocks.

3 Likes

It’s the new “In my great and unmatched wisdom…”

5 Likes

You’re right. I should have double checked which was witch since my brain is stupid sometimes.

4 Likes

That… does not seem extremely convincing to me. On the graph provided, the line seems extremely underfit, plus the data looks very bimodal (all the squashed points on the right, equal rank because the MDPC is 0 in all cases ?) Looks like the correlation would go away if you’d separate wartime and peace presidents.

I can see why it confirms the idea that peacetime presidents are judged more harshly by history, but not really that popularity directly correlates with deaths.

5 Likes

WTF does “upon information and belief” even fucking mean?

It’s a common phrase in legal statements of fact, like affidavits. If you present a factual statement like “Alice killed Bob” and it turns out to be wrong, somebody might think that you committed fraud on the court. Committing fraud on a court is a Bad Thing.

Prefacing the statement with “upon information or belief” means that you’re only offering a statement of your belief based on your information. While it’s unfortunate to be misinformed or to hold a mistaken belief, neither one amounts to fraud.

But of course, the Court of Twitter is a place where slimy critters like QAnon deliberately spew dangerous misinformation without repercussions anyway, so it makes no sense to use prefatory qualifiers like this.

Donald Trump uses it because heard it somewhere, thought it sounded fancy, and he wants people to think he’s smart.

12 Likes

I was just confused and wanted clarity… Thanks!

4 Likes

Are we talking about the Ayatollah or America’s Church Right?

7 Likes

And as I’m sure you know, there’s a direct chain from the CIA/MI6 overthrow of Mohammad Mosaddegh in 1953 to the Ayatollahs, which accounts for the hatred of the USA that successive US presidents have done their best to aggravate.

ETA: Actually, I seem to recall that that’s your particular area of expertise, so for sure you know it.

6 Likes

Both. (No need for that well-known gif.)

4 Likes

…Again…how many times has trump leaked intelligence info he really shouldn’t have…is this the 4th time? (off the top of my head)

1 Like

Typicality when I mention a country I don’t like, I mean the people in charge. I don’t like Iran or China. The Persians and Chinese as a people are awesome.

3 Likes

The Shah has been dead for years. And his heir has literally no political power of consequence in Iran. :woman_shrugging: But it’s moot, because it was not what @jandrese meant anyway.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Dreaming of wonderful days

just like every other statement ever by anybody

Look, squirrel!

12 Likes

This is like something out of a Cory Doctorow dystopia. What ever happened to him, anyway?

1 Like

“dear leader” is having a full authoritarian parade right now at the daily covid19 briefing, nasty drug dealers? this is what we care about right now?

he’s found a way to do rallies right on national tv, son of a bee

So, pretty much, “Go 'way; I’m ‘batin’!”

2 Likes

why don’t you just go play golf until your term is up

3 Likes