Jan. 6 Hearings MegaThread

Wrapping up now… This has been a lot… Pretty damning stuff.

12 Likes

Each day seems worse than the last. I know this gets into “trope territory,” but this seems worse than watergate to me. But, then, I’m no histor. . . Oh, wait. Yes I am. Yeah, seems worse.

14 Likes

Oh yeah. I thought so already, but the details from these hearings are really bringing that home.

This is stupid, but much worse watergate…

[ETA] “Respecting the rule of law” that Thompson just praised the witnesses of doing is a low-ass bar.

14 Likes

“Jesus Fucking Christ, what is it THIS time??” —Matt Gaetz’s lawyer

16 Likes

You can only pardon federal crimes. So if you ask for one - you’re admitting there was a crime and you are guilty.

That should bar them from office immediately.

15 Likes

According to the aides who testified, the following members sought pardons:

• Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.)
  • Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.)
  • Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.)
  • Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas)
  • Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.)
  • Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.)

Ahhh EmptyG’s Freedom Caucus.

16 Likes

12 Likes

I was just a kid [who’d been reading newspaper editorials since the age of 4], but I watched all the watergate hearings, and yeah. This is even more stupid, much more evil, and far, far, worse.

11 Likes

Now, how do we find out if they actually received those pardons?

7 Likes

Follow the money to the trump family?

7 Likes

What the fuck has Merrick Garland been doing for so very long?

Protecting the village. Can’t miss out on those cocktail parties.

9 Likes

A better question is why haven’t the states sued the members of congress who enabled an insurrection?

Like you said, pardons only cover federal crimes.

11 Likes

From a legal perspective states suing members of Congress over January 6 would probably come down to a matter of standing.

But we don’t have any evidence that Trump issued those pardons anyway—there’s no precedent for the so-called “secret pardons” people have speculated about and it would be out of character for Trump to help people who had nothing to offer him in return. So there’s probably nothing preventing Federal charges against Gaetz & his band of miscreants if someone has the will to pursue them.

10 Likes

How ‘bout, arrest them on federal charges?

9 Likes
10 Likes
14 Likes

Oh hell yes. Though it would be sickening if we had to watch Mo Brooks treated like some kind of principled hero by the committee just because he had an 11th-hour score to settle.

12 Likes

He’d completely fuck that up.

12 Likes

Losing Fox News?

10 Likes

That bus just keeps getting more people tossed under it.

12 Likes