Karen who can't believe she has to wear a mask to enter a supermarket confronts store manager

Hasn’t gotten old yet, sigh.

27 Likes

Always a fav.

HIPPA doesn’t work like that, and I’m glad the woman in question was shamed off FB; there’s already more than enough mindless misinfo there.

16 Likes

I’ve been having to run more errands the last few weeks than previous, and the number of people i see congregating in enclosed spaces with no masks whatsoever is really concerning to me. This past weekend i was at a few car dealerships helping my roommate shop around for a new car and i’d say nearly everyone we saw including the employees weren’t wearing masks or they’d wear them for a short time and then take them off. At this point it seems people have just stopped caring, their attitudes won’t change until a whole lot more people start getting sick and/or dying, at which point i’m sure they’ll still see themselves as victims.

19 Likes

In my opinion the problem is not calling racist or privileged people out, it’s about targeting women specifically by using their own special term (which, oddly to me, is a common women’s name rather than something a little more descriptive or less likely to include a bunch of perfectly nice people who happen to share the name)

There are plenty of non-gendered terms one could use for this type of situation. “Racist/entitled jerk” for example. Or come up with something more clever.

9 Likes

White women have been a distinct problem for years now. :woman_shrugging: At some point you have to get to the heart of the problem, and this manages to do so. It’s distinct type of behavior from privileged white women. It was often employed to justify lynchings.

Really, if being called a name is literally the worst thing women like this suffer…

But it’s terfs and the hard right that are calling this misogynistic, so that should tell us something. They don’t give two shits about women, they care about shutting down discussions on race.

31 Likes

There’s been that element since the beginning that said we’ll reach a point where society will have to decide which is more valuable: the economy or human lives? After the past couple of weeks, it looks like we have an answer.

Investment tip: put your money in coffin companies.

6 Likes

There’s also clowns claiming that Roe v Wade and ADA apply in this context. Conservatives just can’t admit they have no basis for their whiny little demands.

7 Likes

Whatever sarcastic name is used, the bigoted behavior that such women exhibit is what’s being ridiculed - the deeply entrenched sense of entitlement, the quickness to play “persecuted victim” when they don’t immediately get to have their way, the willingness to weaponize systemic White male toxic masculinity (“Protect our Virtuous White Women!”) to their advantage…

Give her a name; it’s all deeply rooted in White supremacy, just the same.

26 Likes

A Corona Karen.

3 Likes

Mine too, and he was pretty racist also. But his name was Ted.

4 Likes

Ok, after watching the video all the way through I do concede the point that the specific form of shockingly high sense of entitlement that this woman exhibited may well merit a gendered term without necessarily being misogynistic. Congratulations on changing my mind! (I still vote for something other than “Karen” though)

But also having seen the whole video, I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that this woman was demonstrating bigoted behavior in her interactions with the store staff, most if not all of whom appeared to be white. Did I miss something? Don’t get me wrong: odds are very high than anyone who is this breathtakingly entitled is also a bigot. But still, why not just call her out on the behavior she actually demonstrated and have a separate term for calling out specifically racist/bigoted behavior?

3 Likes

Ask yourself what would happen if a person of color did this. It’s an exhibition of privilege, that she can pitch a fit about keeping others safe and not end up dead.

28 Likes

Not my intent, just speaking my peace… and if your wife is named Karen then I fully understand your personal dislike of the trend;

I’m sure she’s a lovely woman, and she has my genuine sympathies, as much any poor gal named ‘Felicia’ does.

The behavior she demonstrated is deeply rooted in White privilege.

As Mindysan points out, it’s the rare POC who instantly goes into such hissy-fits over not getting their way.

23 Likes

I think that’s just me. Well, in this particular thread, anyway. Somehow I missed this terf narrative, which is a fucking bummer on the level with “That’s The Tolerant Left for You!” in response to mild cussing (that was also rampant on that twitter thread) In this case, it was right wingers coopting Karen and making her into a generic symbol of “Liberal woman shrillness” that made me fear for the future of the Karen meme, (as opposed to handwring about it’s origins.)

3 Likes

I don’t disagree at all that she’s experiencing white privilege by pitching a fit and not ending up arrested or dead, but calling her a bigot for having a fit seems about as logical as calling a white person who gets pulled over for speeding without getting beaten or arrested by the cops a bigot.

This isn’t just about being “fair” to this woman. I think that calling someone a racist or bigot is (and should be) a very serious charge, so the more that people start throwing around the term for behavior that isn’t demonstrably bigoted or based in actual race discrimination, the less of a sting that term will start to have. I want it to remain a strong term.

6 Likes

I’ve actually seen printable flyers for selfish assholes to hand store employees that describe this magical condition that prevents the idiot in question from wearing a mask (but leaves them healthy enough to go shopping), and prevents the store employee from asking about their “condition”, because “HIPPA” [sic] and ADA and Muh Rights, blah blah. Meanwhile, these are the same people who park in handicapped spaces because “no one was using them”. Snopes has a picture of the flyers on the page about this stupid gambit.

We need store management to enable their employees to say, “Yes, I understand, but I can’t let you in due to store policy. Please use our curbside/pickup/delivery options for your grocery needs. Thanks!” With the same size sheet to hand them with information on said services. Plus the most patronizing smile they can muster. Fuck these people.

20 Likes

I’m not calling her a bigot; I’m saying that trying to weaponize her inherent White privilege is why other people are calling her “Karen.”

Selfish stupid fuckwad would be my personal choice term for her, though.

17 Likes

ADA requires businesses to make reasonable accommodations. Not any accommodation demanded. Furthermore, a business would need to know what the disability is so they could (1) confirm it is covered by ADA and (2) make the accommodation.

9 Likes

Yet again, proof that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Also, for the anti-science brigade, a reminder that science affects everything, even them.

2 Likes

Ok, but you did say this:

Which sounds a lot like calling her a bigot to me.

And, again, I personally feel that a white person being a jerk to another white person is not necessarily bigoted. Bigotry comes into play when the person who is being targeted by the abuse doesn’t extend the same patience and kindness to a minority customer who is exhibiting the same behavior.

3 Likes