Kentucky woman launches into racist rant against other shoppers, who ignore her

Where is ignoring these folks getting us?

10 Likes

Yup. It’s a car reference: the vehicle could be just a year or two old, but look like it’s 15 years-old.

4 Likes

True. If I read between the lines and read something you didn’t mean, sorry for that. I do tire of “That person who did that terrible thing is ugly!!!” response I see here sometimes and elsewhere regularly. I may have been trigger happy in my response.

6 Likes

She’s acting like an attention-seeking child having a tantrum. For the most part, it seems to be best to ignore that kind of behavior; if she’s gonna act like a brat, just treat her like one. And how much you wanna bet those folks just wanted to get their business there over with and go home?

But, yeah, there are some times when you gotta do or say something. I’m just not sure this was one of them.

16 Likes

You and I weren’t there. I would have told her to take her medication and STFU.

(You read in the headline that this was in Kentucky, right?)

3 Likes

Mitch McConnell voter.

7 Likes

Oh, I see lots of those in the Detroit area. I tend to be the reverse; I’ve had a lotta wear-and-tear, but it’s just now starting to show. I think. Hard to be objective about that sort of thing.

And I see you’re in the Detroit area as well, lol, so we’ve probably seen the same cars!

1 Like

I dunno, man, she looks bigger than me. Probably has a wood spoon in her purse…

9 Likes

[quote=“LearnedCoward, post:22, topic:91543”]I don’t give a fuck if they beat me up in the parking lot or not.[/quote]The way the news is going, I would expect them to be waiting in the parking lot with a loaded gun. Or if they’re just slightly more clever they might follow you home and proceed to slowly make your life miserable in ways that the police are unlikely to care about sufficiently. Once someone has decided to disregard societal norms, who can say how far they’ll go?

5 Likes

I think she said ‘they come here, they [should] act like everybody else’. She feels they passed her in the line.

Just playing advocate of the devil here, when she said: “Just go back wherever the fuck you came from. Hey, tell them to go back where they belong.” She might have meant: back in the line, to the spot where they belonged (i.e. after her instead of before). Which is sort of logical to say to the checkout clerk she seems to be adressing.

Especially because directly after she says:
“Get in the back of the line like everybody else does.”

Still obnoxious and still slightly racist/ignorant. But it does change the vibe of her rant.

I feel the internet is a bit too trigger happy in general and we should give everybody the benefit of doubt (even racist dumb old ladies)

4 Likes

I wonder what cabinet position Trump will appoint her to.

13 Likes
4 Likes

I’d buy that, if she didn’t immediately launch into the tired “we support you with our taxes and you use your welfare checks to go shopping” argument.

She’s a racist.

28 Likes

She is, most probably. Still I don’t like the internet’s mob mentality: ‘Let’s all make her life hell’. It’s not going to help and probably even make her more racist in the future.
Educating dumb people is always better than ridiculing them.

4 Likes

I don’t have to have been there to know what the right thing to do would have been.

1 Like

You omitted some things which provide more context:

22 Likes

i don’t know about that, really. i have lived in a predominately rural part of central texas for most of my life and lived for three years in rural east texas when i first started teaching. although several white people have mistaken me for someone in front of whom they could use their casually racist language and vent their racial animosities (a mistake they only made once apiece after i calmly but clearly told each of them that was in no way the case), i almost never saw anyone speak that way out in public. since the election i have witnessed seven such public rants of a racial character ranging from a man in his late 20s-early 30s haranguing some hispanics about a private conversation they were having in spanish while waiting in line behind him (this is the u.s. of a goddamn it, you better learn to speak our language if you’re going to live here!) to an elderly woman throwing the “n” word at a black couple paying for their groceries with a debit card which the woman had mistaken for the texas food stamp card. on the thursday following the election some charming student on my campus (i teach 6th grade at a 4-6 intermediate campus) had put notes in most of the lockers belonging to hispanc kids on my team saying “pack you stuff!! trump is sending you back to mexico!!!” this is the first time i’ve ever seen that happen. my district is about 46% hispanic, 42% anglo, 10% black, and then a mix of a few other ethnicities.

i realize that data is not the plural of anecdote but i have personally seen a major uptick in obnoxious public racism. it’s hard for me not to attribute it to the election of trump, a man who used racial tension as a campaigning tool.

33 Likes

It does seem obvious, however, that the election didn’t magically create racists out of nowhere. It just emboldened them to crawl out of the woodwork and speak their minds openly, as if Trump’s election made such attitudes publicly acceptable. But they were there all along, wearing relatively tolerant masks. Or at least being somewhat subtler about it.

23 Likes

I concede more people might be speaking out because they feel empowered, but these people have always been here saying that shit around people they know or typing their shit on line, especially after a few beers. It’s like taking off a bandage that has been on there too long and go, “Holy fuck this looks horrible! I better put some ointment on it and call a doctor.” ETA - and there have always been some people who spout of like that even before. She even know what she was saying was stupid with her, “Sorry, not sorry.”

My MiL was like this. Not about racism, but about other things where she realized she was old fashioned but she wasn’t going to change and I’d best just learn to live with it.

1 Like

It feels like you’ve missed my point entirely.

I shall paraphrase our conversation:

You: How can they ignore that?
Me: Probably because they’re used to racist rants.
You: Why aren’t we doing more?
Me: We weren’t there. Had I been I would have spoken up.
You: I didn’t have to be there to know to have intervened.
Me: blink Uh…me neither. Literally just said I would have told her to knock it off.

What did I do wrong?

2 Likes