Late Stage GOP Fascists Events ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿพ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿคก (Part 3)

Itโ€™s very deep. In the 2019 session, his wife introduced a bill that would have increased the power and authority of the office her husband holds. To me, that was so unethical it was unbelievable. She couldnโ€™t even bother to get a colleage to sponsor it. To make it worse-

Billed as a consumer-protection effort, the proposal would allow approved individuals to serve as investment advisers without registering with the state board โ€” a felony under Texas law that Ken Paxton was charged with in 2015.

The bill never got out of committee.

8 Likes

this is quite a law:

The so-called forgiveness doctrine prohibits โ€œmostโ€ officials from being removed from office for conduct that predated their most recent election, โ€œabsent a felony conviction,โ€ the association said.

its thought not to apply to the state agโ€ฆ but still, a law that protects someone from being removed from office so long as they buried their crimes long enough to get elected again? that seems like quite the large loophole

13 Likes

I just heard that his colleagues finally turned on him, not because of any of his horrible crimes and policies, but because he sent his settlement bill to Texas. :person_facepalming:

10 Likes

Doing the right thing for not the greatest of reasons (but still a valid reason) โ€ฆ Iโ€™ll take the not-L.

Without the office of the AG to back him up, maybe soon theyโ€™ll actually be able to haul him into a courtroom to have the trial on the securities fraud charges for which he was indicted in 2015.

7 Likes

This state has been held hostage by a failing regime of grifters for at least 8 solid years.

Our taxes have been used to fund naked corruption while our roads and cities and farmlands all suffer. The boom has been disguising it (I think we are passively profiting from chance due to skyrocketing housing costs elsewhere) but I think if we hit recession for real the veil will be lifted. But that just means more fascist voter suppression.

Iโ€™m not knowledgeable in economics or politics though so thatโ€™s just me gassing myself like the Oracle of Delphi.

Itโ€™s one of the reasons the fight vs flight is such a hard decision for those of us from here.

10 Likes

from

14 Likes

But you must note that there was no selective old, rich, white conservative male polling done! So this is invalid! (/s)

9 Likes
9 Likes
17 Likes
9 Likes

Iโ€™d be curious to see if Paxton has any supporters beyond his immediate family & Abbot himself. Even pretty conservative people I talk to all agree heโ€™s an asshole who shouldnโ€™t still be in office.

10 Likes

This calls for the Paxton fan club gif:

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

9 Likes

And heโ€™s impeached. Immediate suspension. Senate has to call a trial

Edited to add: A friend was watching the hearing. She said that when the vote was tallied there was cheering

10 Likes

that is amazing. the best political news out texas in a long while

eta:

Speaking against impeachment, Rep. Tony Tinderholt R-Arlington [said] โ€œDonโ€™t end our session this way. Donโ€™t tarnish this institution"

oh honey, that ship has long since sailed :sailboat:

14 Likes

โ€œWe had an historic opportunity to make this session into a pure expression of hate, and by choosing to do something decent for once, you are detracting from that messageโ€

13 Likes

Just guessing, but likely Senator Paxton probably has feelingsโ€“very specific feelingsโ€“about Attorney General Paxtonโ€ฆ

13 Likes

Well the vote was 121 in favor of impeachment, and 23 against.

Soโ€ฆ heโ€™s got at least 23 โ€œsupportersโ€ right there. Or maybe they are justโ€ฆ

:woman_shrugging:t4:

14 Likes

After her Tweet went viral, Tempel was placed on leave. And this week, Tempel told Advocate that the school Superintendent James Sebert had informed her that he had recommended to the School Board that she be terminated.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Unrelated: I (@&$(#@&$ hate sites that change the URL on scroll. Almost posted a link about Witcher here.

11 Likes