Logan Paul says he posted video of him in a silly hat near a corpse to draw attention to the harsh reality of suicide

If there is one thing that I tend to fail at in this sort of post, it’s that the real target is (or should be) YouTube and the dystopian cargo-cult fame it finances in an effort to incubate the real thing. But these are complex issues, and raking specific bad mini-celebrities is an easy way to try and lead readers into doing the hard work themselves. It’s a bit like studying a map without a destination. See also: PewDiePie.

9 Likes

Today’s BB post was due to Paul’s ratcheting up via his latest (just today; not some older story) even more pathetic apologia. Critics of Paul may be accused of beating a dead horse, but there’s no reason, challenge, or excitement in doing that, and the horse happens to be still kicking and in obnoxious ways.

3 Likes

The list had the explicit requirements of 1) Reader must express literal disappointment in Boing Boing, 2) Reader must be unaware of the list or otherwise not trying to get onto the list. So no luck there! But in the age of everything being hostile and terrible on the web, you’re only likely to get on the list if you say something negative but very funny in an oblique or unintentional way, such as ⋆looks at list⋆ dismissive remarks about the meter of the Felix the Cat theme tune?

“Rob pretending there is some higher purpose” is very close, though.

4 Likes

Boing Boing defines engagement via references to Rob’s Locked Safe and/or Dank Carpets.

6 Likes

Did those assholes go into “Suicide Forest” expecting to rub bellies of the Teletubbies and Pokemons they might find?

“Yeah, why, I apologized just last… yesterday.”

2 Likes

They will suddenly just turn up, 40 of them, all teenagers, only to learn that Discourse doesn’t let new signups post. The YouTuber Defense Force will then move to Twitter and call @boingboing mean things there.

7 Likes

Carry on! :grinning:

8 Likes

7 Likes

Your confusion is understood… and desirable. Inability to get into Paul’s mindset is a good thing.

This fucktard and his fuckup, and yt’s fuckup, and their mitigation has been covered on major media outlets worldwide. YT staff even gave one of their rare interviews on the Beep on the subject. And rightly so. The whiners here advising Rob to drop it haven’t understood a single thing how real life works if they believe that it does any harm calling an arse an arse, and kick his butt repeatedly. Why the fuck should yt revise their policies if there weren’t continuing coverage is just one question they could ask themselves but refuse to.

5 Likes

Everyone has a line where something becomes too much. This crossed it for a lot of people.

Also, calling people out on bulls** (see, I meant to create all this outrage, to start a conversation, see) is a pretty common theme 'round these parts. Trump has been dominating the category lately, for obvious reasons, but it’s never been limited to politics.

1 Like

You are talking about a dude who was monetizing suicide…

3 Likes

She is the absolute best! I love her stuff.

2 Likes

2 Likes

The clone that’s also a potato!

1 Like

I’m still chortling over the audacity of someone telling someone else who doesn’t work for them what their job description is.

That’s some ‘sheer nerve’ for that ass, right there.

Regarding the actual topic and his long overdue 15 minutes;

6 Likes

Leigh Alexander has talked publicly about her traffic targets with respect to Offworld. Even if you don’t have specific targets, you must be influenced by stories that generate a ton of views or comments. Everybody is.

All I meant was that you aren’t The New York Times or even Watchtower. There aren’t any expectations of objectivity or subject matter.

When you feature Logan Paul in a story like you did today, it isn’t because there’s some higher purpose - it’s just catnip. It’s rubbernecking at an internet disaster.

Remind me: are you here for a reason other than to express your disappointment in Boing Boing? Because the rest of us here are trying pretty hard to have discussions about topics that are of interest to us. Some of vital import, many only of passing interest. Because that’s how Boing Boing has always worked.

So really, who’s here looking for attention, exactly?

9 Likes

I didn’t start the thread.

Rob’s explanation of why it’s good to give him him more attention is BS though and it’s an unnecessary explanation. People love to hate Logan Paul and so posting a story like this is giving Boing Boing readers what they want - even if that’s just a chance to say how much they don’t want it.

I just heard today (on a podcast) that among high school students, the most desired occupation is YouTube broadcaster. You don’t think that unending spotlight being shone (shined?) on Paul isn’t going to inspire some kids to look for similar attention?

I have no problem with the posting of the story, just the post hoc justification.