Melania's 2018 White House holiday decor includes blood-red trees and a 'Be Best' pencil wreath

Even the typeface they chose for the words “be best” is unattractive.

22 Likes

A certain amount of Christmas nostalgia is always inevitable…

14 Likes

Pencil wreath? Barron’s school project? Or Eric’s?

Guess we know what they stabbed the immigrant children with to make those trees red.

4 Likes

That decoration would work well with a bloodstone circle.

6 Likes

That’s actually good advice, although I would just cut to the chase and decline the visit.

6 Likes

I didn’t click on the Melania thing because I want to preserve my brain cells. Just thought you should all know.

3 Likes

Like I was supposed to know that foyer was in the back of my wardrobe.

3 Likes

Yeah, people are definitely reading too much into this. Overall, it seemed like a pretty boring, middle-of-the-road WH xmas video.

Melania remains an interesting figure in the ongoing dumpster fire that is the Trump executive branch, but I’m not sure she’s really signalling #resistance in this video.

Nah… it’s just plain ugly and tacky, yo.

5 Likes

Oh, well, I didn’t mean any taste related judgement. I was specifically dealing with the argument that Melania’s xmas decorations had some political message.

I don’t think there’s any intentional “message” therein, other than money can’t buy ‘good taste.’

8 Likes

6 Likes

Craft begets only more craft.

13 Likes

Sooooo basically, delegating the White House winter holiday decorating to…

Deep Style . The technique is a much more advanced version of the original Deep Dream approach. It is capable of using its own knowledge to interpret a painting style and transfer it to the uploaded image.

from
https://deepdreamgenerator.com/

?

Witch: Come to my castle for some Turkish Delight
Nerd: Oooh my first sexual experience without a computer
Witch: Turkish Delight is candy
Nerd: oooh candy

6 Likes

I am picturing something akin to Ingrid Pitt in Countess Dracula.

A soak in the blood of Honduran asylum seekers

6 Likes

The other collaborators and creators are still there - in the basement, frozen in carbonite until next year.

1 Like

I’ve had handmade, and if you like old school candies it’s quite tasty.
(as others have mentioned, not “betray your family” good though.)
But then again, I love black licorice, and spumoni ice cream, so what do I know?

6 Likes

Are we certain that this didn’t start out as a perfume commercial, but that was the vibe I was getting from it.

1 Like

Bear in mind that tLtW&tW was written in the late 1940s, when rationing was still in force, oranges and bananas hadn’t been seen in a decade, and Turkish Delight would have been impossibly exotic.

8 Likes