Minister frightened of doll

& the real Creator is a virus that excretes universes (just ask HP Lovecraft.)

2 Likes

Lizard people (at least Cobra Commander) or if you are on the alt-right side of things…Jews. Sometimes that crosses over with lizard people and the Illuminati as well.

4 Likes

I thought “the enemy” meant the mainstream media.

4 Likes

#ConEd?

4 Likes

I always do what Teddy says.

2 Likes

Is a wonderful story, that’s guaranteed to make you think on things you thought you were settled on. :slight_smile:

[ETA: Argh, I did that to you on Scarfolk, too, didn’t I. Just trying to express my approval for your evident taste. ;)]

“I always do what Teddy says.”

Edit: doh! Beaten to it by @smut_clyde.

5 Likes

Supposedly he just found out that “American Girl” is a supporter of Planned Parenthood . . . Ohhh - Taboo !!

1 Like

I still have them at my moms house.

Teddy Baby - who is just an unassuming brown bear.

Teddy Mike had overalls with rainbow straps over the shoulder. Fun fact, I named him Mike before my parents had a brother and named him Mike. I thin I named mine Mike from that Sesame Street short where a little kid visits his new brother at the hospital.

4 Likes

I watched two kids (8 and 9 actually) burst into tears at the sight of the Harry Potter game set they were given one Christmas. Turns out their church leaders had all too well installed the fear of Voldemort into them. Seriously, how can you tell an 8 year old he’s going to Hell for playing with a toy?

11 Likes

These people think a mythical wizard is on par with Harry Potter?

3 Likes

Maybe they were hoping to get the Twilight Game; nothing says family fun like necrophilia, pedophilia and bestiality.

2 Likes

Though it does say it’s OK to be a harlot so long as you let the Israelites into the city, which might be the verses Trump is relying on in his Russian dealings.

5 Likes

“Fundamentalist” Christians often use bad English translations and then when challenged explain that the translators into English were divinely inspired. In Islam, as I understand it, you must know Arabic in order to understand the Qu’ran. The requirements of scholarship in the successive Abrahamic religions have been steadily going downhill since the 19th century - even if you don’t take magic goggles into account.

edit - I didn’t mean that the standards of scholarship in, say, Judaism or the Episcopalians are going down, but that the most recently invented Abrahamic schisms, like the JWs or the Mormons, have not laid much stress (to put it no more strongly) on historical scholarship, archaeology, or philology. I wouldn’t want to get into a Biblical argument with a modern rabbi or Episcopalian cleric, it would be like me trying to play tennis with one of the Williams sisters.

6 Likes

There is some sexy love poetry in there, though:

You have ravished my heart, my sister, my bride;
You have pierced my soul with a single glance.
My sister, my spouse is a garden enclosed, a fountain sealed up.
The rarest of perfumes are hers, and a well of living water.

Awake, north wind; come, wind of the south.
Blow over my garden and scatter its fragrance.
Welcome my beloved and let him taste its precious fruits…

7 Likes

In the US, a lot of this is because biblical literalism is good for justifying slavery.

6 Likes

The British; wrecking the world through their expansion, one colony at a time. We practically invented evil. Marx lived here, Ho Chi Minh lived here, and now we’re trying to destroy the EU. Oh yes, we are the worst.
That, or we just have accents that say “evil” to Hollywood producers.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Yerss…one sociological argument is that during the expansion Westward, the population outran education. Universities were well established in the East, and there was no incentive for scholars or teachers to go West, so during the 19th century the mid-West did not benefit from the same access to universal education as happened in Europe and the East Coast. However, plenty of half-educated people filled the gap and some of them saw their chance and set up as ministers of religion, using whatever English version (or German) of the Bible they had to hand. The result was sects like the Mormons, the Southern Baptists and the Jehovah(sic)'s Witnesses. When education did start to catch up it was mostly technical, because a farmer wants his tractor fixed more than he wants a liberal arts graduate around the place. Then came universal cheap transport and the different cultures started to mix, but there aren’t many snake handlers in Massachusetts or liberal theologians in South Dakota to the present day.
Of course this is a simplification as some immigrant groups brought their cultures with them, like the Lutherans, the Irish and, especially, the Jews. But I think there is some truth in it. A somewhat similar thing happened in South Africa and gave rise to the Dutch Reformed Church - which eventually got so educated that it looked back in embarrassment on its own former history.

5 Likes

The JWs have indoctrination cartoons against magic, toys … and probably Christmas presents too.

4 Likes