Mormon official silences 12-year-old girl in church after she says she's gay

What I already understand is that you’re trying to downplay its current entrenched, abusive bigotry.

7 Likes

At this moment you are literally my hero.
[Recommended your post for the “Needs more likes” thread]

6 Likes

Pushing an agenda meaning, “want to be treated as human beings instead of being vilified by the church”

10 Likes

At work right now my ability to look stuff up is a tad limited since i’m multitasking :stuck_out_tongue: but i believe there’s been some discussions within the Mormon church about LGBT. Can’t say what progress has been made there since i’m not a member, but one can only be hopeful for potential developments. Salt Lake City is the center of the faith and is also a city that has a pretty decent LGBT presence.

Again though, i’m ignorant as to what the church’s current stance and statements on this topic is so i could misspeaking.

3 Likes

So… there isn’t one?

4 Likes

Not in the comment that @alahmnat is responding to. In this,

it seems that we are talking about the leadership of the church and then the general Mormon community.

3 Likes

Hi!

Let’s please take care to remember this discussion, while about a particular faith, isn’t about specific members of that faith unless they were directly involved with the incident - let’s please remain respectful of those who might come here to explain things to us, and remember to debate the points being made.

Thanks!

1 Like

7 Likes

That characterization certainly promotes an open discussion.

Go you! Thank you for sticking up for the Mormon church! :slight_smile:

Testimony meetings are not meant to read prepared speeches first of all…

I’m still waiting for you to present a convincing counter argument, instead of diversionary tone-policing.

If you think my “characterization” is wrong, please explain why. It would be great to hear about concrete steps that the church is taking towards acceptance of its LGTBQ+ members.

8 Likes

“[We Catholics] made up our $#!+ way before television”

I thought you were sarcastic at first.

There’s sticking up for the Mormon Church, and then there’s sticking up for bigotry. I have no problem with religion in general, or even the Mormon Church, but they still have a long road ahead of them until they can say they welcome everybody. I’m not trying to pick a fight, I just seriously want the Mormon Church (and other churches) to get this sorted.

9 Likes

We’re not standing on the same ground. You’re standing on an island and insisting I come to you. The implication is I’m a bad person and in the wrong for not being on the same island as you. You’re sure your island is “right” because a lot of people are on the island with you insisting it’s the only possible island. We just disagree, is all.

This is the gist of what i’ve repeatedly posted in this thread. I’ve done my best to make it clear that this issue is bigger than any one particular faith. Every religion needs to make inroads for being accepting of LGBT members, and i’m hopeful this can happen. So much effort is spent defending old views of how people should behave rather than adjusting to how society and its needs have changed over the years.

5 Likes

Disagree about what, if you please?

Seems to me that the one hand, you say (within the context of a discussion about a suppressed out child, no less) that members of the church “ASPIRE to being tolerant and loving people the way they are.” OTOH, you won’t say anything at all about what particular steps the church is taking toward acceptance and appreciation (rather than its usual repression and abuse) of its LGTBQ+ members. Your defensive evasiveness is confusing, at best.

8 Likes

Yes, treating human beings as human is the only possible island.

Fortunately there’s a lot of room on this island.

Care to explain why you won’t join us?

14 Likes

Well, compared to the whole coming-back-from-the-dead thing, that’s pretty small potatoes. I mean, it doesn’t actually violate any scientific laws.

7 Likes

If you really want to garner a laugh, you can use the standard line that ostracizing and attacking gay people is merely your way of showing them the error of their sinful ways and you are doing so out of concern for their souls. That it isn’t you who is bigoted against them personally, but you are simply following the word of God which claims that you are compelled to do so.

If you want ROTFLMAO effects, simply follow it up with the line that as a Christian it is your duty to point out the sins of others for their own good and your concern is more important than simply letting people live their lives peaceably.

10 Likes