Mountain Dew and Fresca banned in EU and Japan because they contain an ingredient that can lead to memory loss

Wow.
Bro culture, explained.

Anyone else remember this 1970s MountainDew knockoff product?

2 Likes

Always Sunny Fx GIF

3 Likes

1 Like

Already posted upthread. I think you owe @sdmikev a cola-flavored Fresca.

6 Likes

On NPR I heard someone talking about how carefully comedies are written and that the writers decided that Fresca was funnier than coke.

2 Likes

That vintage television commercial seems to indicate that Mountain Dew’s original marketing focus was as an aphrodisiac and cure for sexual impotence.

I forget whether Mt Dew has ethylene glycol and antifreeze has propylene glycol or is it the other way around?

Antifreeze usually has ethylene glycol, which is very toxic, though it can also have propylene glycol since it’s not. Propylene glycol is also found in a lot of food products and pharmaceuticals. Some also use glycerol, and that’s the antifreeze found naturally in some living things.

5 Likes

You call it that, they call it “freedom”

4 Likes

Doesn’t affect me at all since I don’t do soft drinks. No… ain’t happy… but I’m healthy.

1 Like

EU and Japan sparkling water hacks in 3… 2… 1…go!

(ex: lists of ingredients to add for Mountain Dew and Fresca home clones.)

1 Like

Lots and lots of [processed / manufactured] foodstuffs have or had BVO until recently:

As Michael Pollan once said, don’t eat or drink anything that your grandmother would not be able to pronounce or recognize as food.

4 Likes

@semiotix
I love Mountain Fresca but hate Fresca Dew… hang on… hang on… I’ll get it… is that you Dave… I can feel it Dave…

2 Likes

(Since you happened to bring that up)

I’ve thought for a while that that advice needs updating, if he hasn’t done so already.

IMO it’s fine advice for older people: Michael Pollan himself is currently 67 years old, so his grandmother might be from an age where that advice would hold.

But take someone who is currently 18-20 years old, say, and their grandmother could be, say, in her 50s—easily young enough to have grown up in the days of artificial-everything food :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I’m right there with you :roll_eyes:

So tamagoyaki and tofu are out?

5 Likes

Quinine is prohibited? Why?

(It is also an anti-malarial, though malaria isn’t a big problem in Japan currently.)

It’s not so much banned as just not allowed as an additive in food and drinks. Cinchona extract (from which quinine was derived) actually is allowed, but tonic water that contains it is very expensive.

2 Likes