New House Democrat Rashida Tlaib: 'We're gonna impeach the motherf****r'

It might - if people who say they oppose the President obsess over it.

giphy

15 Likes

Okay, critics, then what’s your answer? What was the “right” thing to say?

And keep in mind, the old rules of business stopped working a loooong time ago. Those, like Pelosi and Schumer, who play the old-school way of “civility” and compromise get mocked, slandered, and steamrollered, accomplishing absolutely nothing. Anyone who dares to put up a fight gets attacked and insulted by an order of magnitude more.

So maybe, just maybe, “the only way not to play” is to state goals and principles openly and honestly from Day One. It’s declaring a refusal to walk the twisted maze the Republicans have laid out for their enemies. It’s making it clear that they will take no shit and give no fucks-- their goal is to win, no matter the obstacles put in the way.

And to my mind, that is exactly what Rashida Tlaib has done by her “impeach the motherfucker” comment.

But then, I would think that way, given how I voted for her, and how very proud I am that she’s my representative. She certainly spoke for me in that moment, expletive and all.

@anon72705028: while it’s sometimes true that

intention can usually be inferred via context. In this case, it wasn’t meant politely. We Detroiters can be rather blunt at times. :wink:

19 Likes

it doesn’t hurt

1 Like

And I don’t think you meant that, I don’t think you want to silence anybody. It is the inevitable result of telling someone that their actions reflect on everybody in their “group” though which is why I called it an implication.

You disagree with the tactic, that’s OK, I wouldn’t have advised it either, but we must accept that if a representative of congress is barred from saying something because of who we see her as, well, that’s just problematic all over isn’t it?

9 Likes

meanwhile

and

of course

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump on Friday said newly sworn-in Democrat Rep. Rashida Tlaib “dishonored her family” after using a profanity and calling for his impeachment.

10 Likes

Like I said above… the Rs get a goddam pass for dropping an Fbomb but the Ds get tone policed.

FUCK! THAT! SHIT!

21 Likes

I am not having luck, but it must have been recent, because I do remember it. Search isn’t pulling it up and I forgot to bookmark it.

I will keep looking.

7 Likes

There are a lot of possibilities between enthusiastic support and “silencing”. Swearing feels good but it’s rarely the most effective way to make change, especially in a leadership role like Congress. It’s not now completely OK because the awful president guy does it. There are many better ways to be forceful.

Resist? Resist what exactly? Rational international America First policy that is working? Resist a booming economy? Resist rational Constitution - loving Supreme Court Judges? Resist winning the war against Isis and bring the troops home? Resist sane legal immigration policy instead of insane open border policy? Resist smaller government with less regulation and increase in freedom? Resist winning the international trade wars? The unfortunate truth is that the Dems and their “liberal” fellow sycophants have been so brainwashed by the liberal elite, foreign controlled media that they are now no more than zombie debt slaves mindlessly repeating their spoon-fed blabber.

Meh. If she was a republican, people would laugh and applaud. Because she’s a Palestinian woman, she gets held to a higher standard of decorum. Her being quiet will not get her respect from the opposition, because they do not respect women in the first place, much less a woman who comes from a minority religion.

16 Likes

Oh, that’s different. He’s a man… /s

13 Likes

(and also strategy and diplomacy) is what I’d like to hold all of them to.

Tlaib has a moment of prominence right now due to breaking a major barrier. There are a lot of things she could have done with this boost. Maybe flinging a quick potshot at Trump will pay off, amplified as it was. It will carry some degree of a detriment to her credibility going forward, so there’s a cost too.

2 Likes

Indeed.

Thanks for stopping by

tenor%20(9)

Please, let the elbow hit you on the way out. Motherf****r.

16 Likes

The reality is that women, people of color, and the oppressed are the ones who DO get held to that higher standard, with our rights being held out as some sort of prize we win for being polite and quiet while the men are talking…

For some people, she’ll never be anything more than a Muslim Brotherhood operative. No matter how polite.

[ETA] and it comes from “both sides”… note how Anderson Cooper discusses one of AOC’s policy initiatives (an incredibly important one, at that):

So, no matter what, it’s an uphill struggle for basic respect… from both sides.

16 Likes
20 Likes

Yeah, I get that. I respect bold action where it’s warranted. I hope it works out for Tlaib.

Do you? I mean, you started this entire thread to specifically criticize her comments? Or am I wrong on your intent here (and please DO correct me if I’m wrong - no one likes to be misstated)?

12 Likes

I think you ticked all the Fox News talking points there. Well done.

14 Likes

11 Likes

I support people having concerns over inappropriate language usage. But don’t think it’s because i don’t oppose the subject of these comments.

But I worry that raising these concerns will be used by people to detract from the interest we all share in opposing Trump. It could bounce back and benefit Trump if these people- who truly oppose Trump - continue to raise the argument that this language usage is important.

They could better use their time actually posting their reasons for opposing Trump.

7 Likes