Newt Gingrich: "Republicans have to turn out more votes than Stacey Abrams can steal"

“Newt Gingrich”
tenor (15)

12 Likes

Oof.

But, again, it’s all projection. Let’s just hold his statement up the mirror: “Republicans have to steal more votes than Stacey Abrams can turn out." FTFN (Fixed that for Newt)

9 Likes

11 Likes

Newt Gingrich is largely responsible for the modern downfall of the GOP. He’s the one who directed the party away from reasonable discussion and focused attention on sensationalism and catchy sound bytes instead. I saw him speak years ago where people were going crazy about his “Contract With America” and his promise to execute dealers who sold drugs near schools. Prior to Newt you would see conservatives like William F. Buckley who I often disagreed with but admired his ability to debate and invite others to share ideas. (Watch old episodes of Firing Line on YouTube to see). In the Newt era, thinkers like Buckley were replaced with noisemakers like Coulter and Hannity who will shout down or cut off anyone who disagrees.

16 Likes

He’s definitely at the top of the list of those responsible for poisoning the well of modern politics. He and Limbaugh deserve a special place in hell.

17 Likes

2020 has taken so much, but seems reticent to remove the boil on the face of the US that Limbaugh is. How hard can it be, 2020, he has stage IV cancer?

10 Likes

Somehow it doesn’t seem to occur to Gingrich that, if the Democrats really had been capable of falsifying the presidential election without – apparently – leaving any justitiable evidence whatsoever, they would surely have done the same to the Georgia senate races (and some others) so there would not have to be any runoff elections in the first place, and the Senate would be solidly Democrat now already. If you can fix an election that spans 50 states (+ change) without anyone being able to prove it, doing it in only one state at a time should be a piece of cake.

Doing arithmetic is hard when your world view requires that 2+2=5.

9 Likes

And doing politics is easy when you can state “It’s an objective fact that 2+2=5, and everybody knows that’s more votes for Biden than the 4 they claimed!”

They’re not teaching math class, and they know it. They are there to facilitate a coup, and to prep their idiot crazy train followers to overthrow the legitimate government with violence.

8 Likes
14 Likes

He’s using the word “steal” because black people are involved. He doesn’t believe anything else.

4 Likes

Buckley was just a more superficially refined version of Gingrich, but still a vicious racist and anti-LGBTQ bigot. He covered it up in a sheen of superficial erudition and that mid-Atlantic accent, but his willingness to debate in good faith was as absent as Gingrich’s. When he was up against someone like Gore Vidal who had his number and knew how the game was played that smirk went to sneer and then snarl in record time.

Gingrich just understood, after a decade of “jus’ folks” Reaganism and the one-term presidency of WASPy old “Poppy” Bush, that Buckley’s paternalistic elitist act wouldn’t play with the suckers any more.

16 Likes

Not to mention the time that James Baldwin trounced him in debate.

13 Likes

Let’s not forget that Gringrich’s current pod-creature wife is the office assistant that he had the affair with, and then divorced his cancer-ridden then-current wife in the cancer hospital, all while participating in the dredging of Bill Clinton for being an unfaithful husband.

12 Likes

Interesting article. More to add to the list of things I disagreed with him about.

A proto-Koch foundation (with a CIA connection!) funded him. Slightly walled.

2 Likes

anigif_sub-buzz-22467-1501863599-3

7 Likes

I’m not sure Ms Abrams has the clout to seal an election in a gerrymandered state with scads of disenfranchised voters. Did I miss something?

Fortunately Senate seats are statewide races so gerrymandering is rendered moot for the most part.

2 Likes

2021-01-20?

I still remember Newty (his family nickname) in the late 80s as Professor Newt Gingrich on an old PBS series called Ethics in America of all things.
Yeah, that’s right. The philandering ethics ignoring former speaker lecturing as an expert on such things.
Oh my, the irony…

5 Likes