NYT: Tucker Carlson was fired for racist text message: "Not how white men fight" but "I really wanted them to hurt the kid"

Exactly. Then shit like this happens:

5 Likes

It’s literally an “Are we the baddies?” moment.

5 Likes

It might be, if Carlson actually cared about anything besides his bank account.

Hint; he doesn’t.

17 Likes

Suddenly?

11 Likes

That was the line? Or was it the final straw?

3 Likes

Murdoch has more money than most people could spend in a thousand lifetimes. He doesn’t continue to run Fox because he needs the money, he continues to run Fox because he likes controlling an evil media empire. So if Tucker’s fuckups are such a regular source of annoyance for Murdoch that they detract from the satisfaction of running that media empire then he might have just decided “I don’t care what it costs me, get that little bastard out of my sight.”

9 Likes

I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed.

Hence Tucker’s fascination, as he’ll never know what it’s like to be loved, and nobody will miss him when he’s six feet under. The sooner the better, really.

6 Likes

It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight.

Emmett Till and an unknown multitude of others would like a word.

21 Likes

Fucking A.

16 Likes

The contents of this text just tell me that he is indeed as dumb as he looks on TV. It’s the same kind of empty soul searching that he did regularly on his show… the just asking questions approach… like why should I hate Putin? What has he ever done to me personally? Why am I the bad guy? Why do I get called racist? whatever, without ever addressing the bigger forces at work outside of his own entitled pea brain.

3 Likes

The only thing I’ve got here is that a normal person’s reaction to this video would be “oh, these 3+ people are ganging up on this 1 other person and beating him severely. I don’t care what the reason is for it. It is not okay. It is very f’ing far from okay. Whether the 3+ people are on ‘my team’ (in some political or other sense or whatever) and the sole person is ‘the opposition’ in some regard, that, well, it hadn’t even crossed my mind.”

That Tucker arrives at this via some kind of rhetorical whirligig rather than it being the immediate and intuitive response is damning.

Feels like the only exception is related to the paradox of tolerance. That clip of Richard Spencer getting punched mid man-on-the-street interview doesn’t seem problematic in the same way.

8 Likes

This is how white people like Tucker Carlson fight

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s that he’s dumb, I think it’s that he has a ideology that he’s giving himself a fig leaf of deniability. He knew and knows exactly what he’s doing, what he’s promoting, and why he’s doing it (because he believes it, and because he profits off of it).

I honestly think we need to stop assuming that people who promote harmful ideologies are just stupid, because they generally speaking are not. This is a common set of strategies that goes back to the early days of mass media and the rise of fascism. They embrace these tactics because they work. :woman_shrugging:

17 Likes

Yeah notice he doesn’t question his white supremacy once. He uses evidence of the sort of people who embrace his message and what they do to justify their murderous emotions and projects the guilt onto non-white people.

This isn’t stupidity, it’s true evil.

16 Likes

This is not why they fired him. They’re coming up with this now to pretend they think being a racist is bad. He spewed racist and xenophobic rhetoric on the air every day and they didn’t do anything. Don’t believe Fox on this. This is definitely NOT the reason they fired him. They still support racism and bigotry.

6 Likes

Spot On Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

Did anyone here say that they did? :thinking:

8 Likes

True enough, it was The NY Times that said it… which is pretty disappointing.

3 Likes

Or perfectly on brand for the NYT? :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

“Not how white men fight.”

And you’d know from experience, Tuckems?
Puhleeze.

1 Like

to double down on what you and mindysan are saying , i think that he’s working on a different spectrum than the ones most people seem to be thinking – because he did this on his show too

it’s not somewhere between “introspection” and “plausible deniability”, it’s incitement.

he’s saying: hey, it’s okay to feel this murderous hate. even he – this ahem paragon of virtue – sometimes wants to bash people’s heads in.

and when he says:

if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?

it telegraphs: hey, sometimes you beat people up ( or murder them ); it’s okay. they were going to do it to you anyway.

13 Likes