Only conservatives are allowed to harass people in public

Ah yes, the guys who lock kids up in cages are no worse than the folks who want not that evil shit.

I get it.

Exactly the same, so nobody is ever worse or even more wrong than the other.

So what? Stop complaining? Don’t call out evil hypocrisy?

Or are you just saying nothing matters so we should all just waste our vote on the green party.

15 Likes

True. Touche!

1 Like

So have cars. Cars are as evil as Nazis! Therefore, the opinions of cars matter just as much as those of the fascists, but where is the cars’ freedom of speech? We don’t even give them mouths, THAT’S CENSORSHIP!!!

I’m not going anywhere with that (tired and scatterbrained), but I want to say, if the conversation you’re railing against were just “who is most evil, let’s count,” you’d have a point; however, regardless of past crimes and/or positions, one party (and by extension that party’s base) is responsible for some truly heinous shit, and the other is opposing them. Complaining about moral equivalency is not useful. There are only two effective sides to support (and improve and influence), and one is right now clearly, blatantly, unrepentantly in the wrong.

Even both sides are “evil” (and they’re not), if one of them is definitely going to be in charge, you shouldn’t immediately discount the idea of supporting the lesser one. It’s not that pleasant, but if you can’t change the system right now, you can still try to improve things by working within it.

< /ramble >

7 Likes

Yeah, they become policy wonks and speech writers. Trump is a masterpiece of thick-headed stupidity, but he is surrounded by sharp-minded and unfathomably cruel smart kids.

5 Likes
8 Likes

And while the assessment of what constitutes disrespect or name-calling is highly variable, usually slightly biased to favor urban dwellers and liberals, and occasionally extremely biased, it’s still vastly better than any other site I know of. Divergent points of view, if phrased respectfully, are tolerated.

And although the commentariat itself trends left-libertarian-ish, honest argument is respected regardless of source.

4 Likes

Here’s the basic problem with civility- the approach only works on civilized people.

It looks proper to everyone but very few people actually hold themselves to so-called civilized standards and that’s the problem.

I would like to see a country where people can civilly engage each other with disagreement and at worst they take off a white glove and throw it on the ground in protest but I don’t think we are ever going to reach that point.

I don’t think this is just my perception but I find it very challenging to find anyone who identifies as a conservative anymore especially somebody who loves Trump and is capable of having civil conversation. I drove through Westmoreland County 2 weeks ago and iPass a pickup truck with an enormous American and rebel flag on flag poles sticking up from the back.

Civility doesn’t exist among a large portion of our population so I don’t think it’s possible any longer to keep forcing responses civilly. I think it’s inevitable but progressives need to learn how to be unapologetically in people’s face by the end of this because soon there won’t be any civility left with Kennedy gone.

9 Likes

16 Likes

Fake news!

16 Likes

As well as literally every other major news outlet, including supposedly leftwing NPR. Literally every single major news outlet regularly has conservatives of almost every stripe on.

14 Likes

11 Likes

Now that I like! I’m keeping a copy of that for future use/reference.
Thank you.

2 Likes

jon-snow-slurps

13 Likes

giphy

17 Likes

13 Likes

Here’s the basic problem with civility- the approach only works on civilized people.

In my opinion, one of the biggest obstacles to friendly conversation among people who disagree is the tendency to use language that’s too complex.

Too many people have a strong habit of rejecting everything that they don’t immediately understand.

2 Likes

We’re talking about here and now, and as another posted noted up thread - only 2% of acts of terrorism were attributed to leftists. 2%. 74% is right wing/aligned with fascism.

13 Likes

jon-snow-slurps-again

13 Likes

10 Likes

I was going to say THIS.

The people that know and have civility don’t ever need to be told to act civil. Those that act uncivil constantly are the ones that tell others “we need to be civil”

3 Likes