Only conservatives are allowed to harass people in public

kill-la-kill-guts-eating

6 Likes

Your premise only works in an environment where both sides are actually trying to have a conversation.

6 Likes
2 Likes

This precisely.

I often keep my language background a secret in the machine shops I work in because people just give me the college boy routine forever.

The one consistent thing I run into trying to have conversations when they do come up is being able to speak intelligently with the people I work with who often don’t think very deeply about concepts and the second I try to explain a common refrain is “that’s too complicated and I don’t need to care about it”.

I don’t know about all blue collar but I can guarantee you if you want to get through to people in blue collar machine shops, its best not to use complex verbiage, and try to find a way to relate your argument to something in their own lives they can understand. This is generally true though of everyone so it’s not as though they are different people but it’s a little bit more sensitive with these groups.

3 Likes

Your premise only works in an environment where both sides are actually trying to have a conversation.

I guess both people speaking the same language would be required as well.

1 Like

That won’t stop businesses from asking her to leave, though. She’ll just have to take her whole damn entourage with her; no one can be “forced” to serve her.

13 Likes

It sure plays well to the optics of her “being attacked” though, even if the death threats seemed to be mainly flung at the restaurant owner.

6 Likes

27 Likes

We can’t control how the Know-Nothing 27% interprets things (a fact all liberals and progressives really have to internalise). We can continue to stand by our principles by, for example, refusing to dine with or serve or remain silent in the presence of bigoted right-wing populists and those who enable them.

13 Likes

Incoming…

4 Likes

No, it’s not something to control, just to acknowledge.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Corporate cronyism

Absolutely. Pretending it doesn’t happen does us no good.

4 Likes

This is driving trollies.
It does not matter if you are or are not a professional trolley or even if you intend to trolley, for all I know you may actually believe this.
The effect this has on civil conversation is that of a trolley. A derail. A bad faith argument.
@Gabfest I have no intention of trading arguments with you or to even correct you. I am merely pointing out that the form of the argument, along with the content in it does not serve any other purpose than to be provocative.

18 Likes

Well, we all knew he was a collaborator…

6 Likes

No, I am not saying that no one should complain or fight evil because evil is so common. I am unhappy with partisans saying that because the other side does bad things, their side’s bad things don’t matter. That’s what the comments devolved into. Personally, I think that the Republican Party under President Trump is worse than the Democratic Party’s present and recent past. However, that’s like saying rabies is worse than bubonic plague. Yes, but so what? 100% death vs. 90% death.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone here believes the democrats are absolutely innocent. Obama deported lots of people. He ordered drone strikes. All that shit.

But he didn’t setup concentration camps. And there’s no democrats in congress who appear to have any interest in doing so either.

Obama’s not in charge. What do the current democrats look like when it comes to immigration policy?

It’s very frustrating being told I must stop shouting about how evil the republicans are, and how I’m just perpetuating a cycle of abuse, when republicans are literally having nursing babies pulled away from their mother’s breast.

I have a bunch of politicians who don’t actually support that kind of thing. And everyone’s up in arms saying that everyone’s so nearly the same that it’s pointless to argue.

The democrats are the only other game in town on the national scale. If you don’t support them, then your inaction is helping the republicans.

Now I’m all for third parties. I don’t vote democrat just because someone has a D next to their name. But the thing is: I’m not voting republicans as long as they’re going along with genocide and being okay with nazis being in their voting block.

I will not support people who will accept a nazi vote. It’s simply untrue “there are fine people on both sides”. That’s just not the case. And to argue that there are is to be morally bankrupt.

9 Likes

Yes he did.

Note the date. 2014.

Are Trump’s policies worse? Yes. Is Trump an immediate existential threat to both the USA and the wider world? Yes.

But a return to the previous status quo is not an adequate response. You need the people on your side if you want to fight the Trumpists, and the people will not come out for just more of the same old bullshit.

7 Likes

I stand corrected.

3 Likes

As I ranted myself to another commenter, it’s the BSing of fighting over who is the lesser evil and who is the greater is stupid.

However, while I agree that the Republican Party under President Trump both are the greater evil and deserve the most attacks, their policies are only an enhancement of President Obama’s policies, which themselves are only enhancements of President Bush the Younger. The Republican Party has created a set of policies that are ostensibly “conservative” and the Democratic Party has an ostensibly “liberal” platform; the Republicans keeps pushing to the right to stay separated from the Democrats who keep moving right to stay moderate. Add that both have become extremely corrupt political prostitutes (and I have to apologize to the majority of honest sex workers for the comparison.) that uses social positions as cover for their economic plundering for the 0.001%.

Both parties want immigration to continue, want to maintain or increase tax cuts, want to cut either less or more of social welfare programs and regulations. The police state is fine for both of them. It can be said it is a matter of degree and not really of kind in their differences with the only real differences are social rights are supported as camouflage, so long as money, or the police state are not involved.

So yes, the Republican Party, which is ostensibly conservative is the greater evil compared to the ostensibly liberal Democratic Party. Saying Dark Evil must be fought in the service of merely Grey Evil is just not that inspiring to me. Soon it will be Black Evil and Dark Evil. Joy.

1 Like