Perfect toilet-paper dispensing machine

I can always tell when a partner gets moody about the toilet paper situation, which sucks, because using the restroom is a natural thing all humans do, and which we use toilet paper to be hygienic about. Please keep in mind that women have periods, and also that we have to use toilet paper for two separate bodily functions. Not to mention that women are pressured more than men to be SUPER hygienic and perfect and clean about everything in that particular area (I mean, douches exist and they are terrible things but they still exist).

I bet she knows you get angry about it, and having been on the other side of it, itā€™s not a nice feeling (I concede that my ex got particularly angry about it, but thatā€™s subjective depending on the people involved and the relationship, I suppose; and it was more than one partner that has gotten at least annoyed, on top of that). Itā€™s a weird thing to get angry about, too. Itā€™s just toilet paper, and itā€™s necessary for us to cleanse ourselves for our daily bodily functions.

On that noteā€¦ I think I know why the video made me more uncomfortable than some other people seem to be.

We women already have a lot of pressure in the area of grooming habits, and honestly, having yet another ā€œthingā€ for people to ā€œteaseā€ women about and get angry about is, well, itā€™s annoying. Oh joy yet another thing having to do with bodily functions and hygiene for a group of people (mainly men, if the video and this comment section is to be an indicator) to claim women do differently/worse and to get angry about with them. How pleasant.

1 Like

The model in the video is being developed for the EU & other markets.

The US version eschews the cleaver on a robotic arm in favour of a glock being held sideways on a robotic arm. It costs a bit more to operate due to the ammunition and isnā€™t recommended for people who donā€™t want anyone to hear them pooping. An optional sound system will play song fragments while in operation, at volume sufficient to be heard over the TP dispenser.

Song choices are as follows,

1 Like

Uncircumcised men use a square (or should) when they urinate. But one ply will do.

1 Like

I can think of a number of excellent real world uses for a GIANT CLEAVER ON A MOTORIZED ARM. Where and to whom do I give my money?

I got yer back on this one. We all have our hygiene needs, and as adults, weā€™re responsible for knowing what those needs are without anyoneā€™s help, however well-meaning. I occasionally waggle a stern finger under my sonā€™s nose for excess use of toilet paper, because heā€™s five years old, and when he clogs the john he hasnā€™t yet learned how to employ the plunger. Weā€™ll get him sorted out in short order, including the putting-the-seat-and-lid-down-after-use issue (things fall off the counter into the crapper otherwise).

Another 100% agree. When I were a lad, my family used Charmin, which was soft and cuddly and perfectly fine for hairless butts. But as I got older and hairier down in the Unspeakable Nethers, Iā€™d find Charmin tends to shred too easily with even the gentlest bum-scrub, if youā€™re actually trying to get all the crap off. So I switched to Scott, which works exactly as well as you describe.

As an aside, my elementary school used to use this terribly cheap single-sheet-stacked toilet paper that was incredibly time-consuming to get a decent handful ofā€¦ by design, since less paper used made it cheaper for the school. We always called it John Wayne Toilet Paper: itā€™s rough, itā€™s tough, and it donā€™t take shit from nobody. Because of this bad toilet paper, I crapped precisely once at school in the 13 years I attended public school.

2 Likes

Oh, Iā€™m the most comfortable crapper I know. Two or three times a day, usually with something to read. But the olā€™ buttcrack is somewhat hairy, and sometimes the poop isnā€™t quite as firm as one would like, and you end up with wipe after wipe after wipe. Thereā€™s also an element of not really wanting to feel the intimate contours and textural details of my own dingleberried anus through the paper, so I prefer a few insulating layers.

Sometimes, however, the poop is just the right consistency and firmness, and an impressively sizable bolus will emergeā€¦ but the first wipe results in unaccountably clean paper. ā€œThe Phantom Poopā€ I call those occasions, and it feels like a blessing to my day.

Why did I open this thread?

Nobody has mentioned the Army ā€œone square per visit, fold into quarters, tear the corner off, stick your finger throughā€ technique?

1 Like

I canā€™t believe itā€™s true, and if it is, Iā€™m awfully glad Iā€™m not living my life in a muddy trench with a 50-lb backpack on. I think Iā€™d rather wipe my ass on a nearby fencepost.

2 Likes

I like this thing! :smiley:
The swing-arm is a bit flimsy but, well, itā€™s a prototype.

Idea: two-ply (maybe three?) toilet paper, where one side is softer and the other is rougher. They could differ in color. Depending on what you need, fold one or the other way.

Could work. Iā€™d suggest a silencer and subsonic ammo.

The ammo is however a consumable, which adds more logistics. So Iā€™d be in favor of cutting it with a laser.

People get angry/emotional about the weirdest things. Very few things deserve that, and toilet paper consumption is not one of them.

This, and your earlier post, is what led me to the idea of the different-sides paper described above.
I wonder why it is not done yetā€¦ so many brands that compete on meaningless differences, and this is a fairly obvious and not-so-difficult-to-implement in the reel-to-reel manufacture to do.

Those kitchen paper absorbent towels. Or the roll of paper kept in the workshop for cleaning stuff, also serving as a backup for other purposes.

They had it coming.

1 Like

I was AGREEING with you.

1 Like

I COMPLETELY misread you, apologies! I will say that even upon re-reading it, itā€™s not clear who you are referring to in your comment, after directly quoting me. So I was clearly confused, and I apologize! I deleted my reply. Dā€™oh. Thank you for stating your agreement with me, I appreciate it. Sorry again.

My friend, the world would beat a path to your door. Or should, anyway. And the laser cutter is a nice touch, too!

However, for those with sensitive bits, having the paper dyed might not be the best idea. :smile: I think itā€™s already frowned upon? Which is why we generally use bleached paper rather than colored to begin with? IDK for certain tho.

2 Likes

True. Hmm. Maybe just the texture, then.

1 Like

If youā€™re talking texture, did the US ever use that cheap ā€œgreaseproof/tracing paperā€ toilet tissue that I remember from my UK schooldays?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the John Wayne variety to a tee.

1 Like

In my experience, itā€™s variesā€¦umā€¦periodically.

1 Like

Misunderstandings happen. They are normal. No need to apologize.
And yes, it was not 100% clear.

We actually somewhat agree on more things (to varying degrees), even if it is sometimes masked with my degree of general grumbly misanthropy.

Take a square more and fold it the other way? The gentler side is intended specifically for this. :stuck_out_tongue:
Or, if using only one length of paper, one additional fold and the use sequence may handle this problem too. An engineering optimization problem, like most of things in the worldā€¦?

Valid concern (my pet peeve are the perfumed ones; not needed funcion and they donā€™t even supply a MSDS to know whatā€™s in there[1]). Depends on the dye. The vendors usually take those annoyingly pink azo dyes that arenā€™t always the most biocompatible.

In this specific case Iā€™d go for a sparse pattern (outlines of flowers seem to be a common pattern) of some nonirritant pigment on the coarse side.

Or one of the sides may be non-bleached. Or just without marking, leaving it on the haptic recognition of the texture. But that would impair marketing by making it less distinctive.

[1] If it would be to me, you could look up a complete list of used chemicals via the thingā€™s barcode; the UPC/EAN code is a good identifier. With optional computer ā€œadvisorsā€ interpreting the arcane lists according to the userā€™s rulesets. Would also help toxicologists and various first responders, in cases of leaks/fires/poisonings. But thatā€™s for a longer rant.

1 Like

Bidets.

3 Likes

Hmph. Fancy-pants European frippery! If a corncob was good enough for General MacArthur, it should be good enough for everyone!

(actually, I want to try a bidet myself, one of these days. I suspect itā€™d be a welcome fixture in our house.)

1 Like