Post a pic of your favorite toy

3 Likes

If my happy glow was any warmer, Iā€™d have to call Icarus!

Thank you for reminding me! I didnā€™t have toys as a child (long story), but the following was SO POPULAR that I stole one from the store so that I could be part of the in crowd:

Clackers! So simple, but all the rage in the mid- to late-1960s.

10 Likes

OH - CLACKERSā€¦ not what I thought it was at firstā€¦

3 Likes

These made a resurgence in the 70ā€™s. Mom made mine disappear along with my lightsaber. Not cool, mom.

5 Likes

I had those! I mustā€™ve gotten them from my older cousin, because my mom would never have purchased something like that for me. I suspect she had something to do with the disappearance of said clackers shortly after I got 'em.

3 Likes

My favorite toy:

7 Likes

What do these do? Iā€™ve never seen these before?

This should help you understand why parents would make the toy magically disappear as quickly as possible:

Yup, thatā€™s it, thatā€™s what they do.

7 Likes

Oh, look: the ā€œworld record holderā€ in action:

Imagine listening to a child learning how to use these. And then using them.

5 Likes

Oh yeeeeah, these do seem familiar. Wow. That was deep back in my brain.

There is a reason it is now a toy of legend. A myth to be whispered in the shadows.

In a possible related note, child homicides by parents have been going down since the 70s.

6 Likes

Now remember kids, iPhones hadnā€™t been invented yet.

2 Likes

I remember they could put a knot on your head the size of an egg. So could Stretch Armstrong if you swung him hard enough.

7 Likes

This was my all-time favorite, and I took it everywhere I went for at least a couple of years until I broke the zip cord. I later got the Smash-Up Derby station wagon. I thought that was a lot of fun.
Mine was burnt orange, and there seems to be some confusion as to the maker, but I think the racers were called SSP.

7 Likes

We used to have this game called Battle Ball that was part of a late 80s/early 90s push to come up with new slightly-off ā€œsportā€ or sports implement (see also: the foxtail, a million different shaped frisbees and nerf footballs, etcā€¦) It only worked with the very specific slightly-underinflated / dead bounce soft-rubbber orange ball. It also kind of hurt your hands after a while as the paddles were placed awkwardly, but somehow it made for hours of vollying fun:

3 Likes

Still unable to ā€œlikeā€! So here you go: :+1:

Oh yes those were awesomeā€¦ Had a long one a bit like that with a shark on it and a set up to shoot sparks from the wheel. My brother and I had lots of fun with the smash up derby set.

3 Likes

Those who loved their Romper Stompersā€¦

ā€¦and those who probably spent their time eating boogers.

2 Likes

I had a set of those, too, but they hurt my feet too much. The bouncing ball was better. Oooh, another favorite from the wee little one days:

Man, I never realized how high that guy was. Guess it explains all the eatinā€™.

9 Likes