(Potentially) Unpopular Opinions, Jinxes, and Horcruxes Thread

Yeah, the first time I ever heard that was, weirdly, in Lilo & Stitch. I had no idea what “punch buggy” meant and had to look it up. It wasn’t a thing at all in Ohio, I guess. We just yelled JINX!, but it didn’t have any consequences.

5 Likes

Slugbug, never played that. Padiddle on the other hand, lead to occasional bruising.

5 Likes

I’d never heard of padiddle until my spouse mentioned it as a childhood pasttime.

4 Likes

When coming to a highway overpass one must wet one’s finger, place it on the top of their head and say “Duck!”

5 Likes

Maybe we were just fond of punching each other.

6 Likes

Damn you!

4 Likes

As kids, we were allowed to play slugbug, but only if there was no actual slugging. But, we like the alphabet game better, even though we always had to wait for a liquor store by the freeway for the Q.

4 Likes

No antique stores on the route?

3 Likes

We were in LA county, so none that I recall. In fact, I may have never gotten to the swanky parts of LA where there are antiques, unless you count extremely good luck days at the goodwill.
(edit for word order, doh!)

5 Likes

…and now you’re gonna have to say what “padiddle” is.

2 Likes

Something about going over the railroad tracks…

4 Likes

Whatever the hell that is, I know precisely one guy who does it. He’s never explained it sufficiently, and I guess he has other pals to do it with, but since we grew up having different 3rd-grade classes, somehow our cultures didn’t intersect in this particular department.

3 Likes

Actually, it’s a car with one headlight out. Everyone knows you touch the roof of the car when you go over railroad tracks. DUH!

9 Likes

My first wife and her sisters had a bunch of rituals that were new to me, though we grew up a handful of miles apart. It’s from them I learned “slugbug.” They also always held their breath when driving through a tunnel.

In my family, on long car trips, whoever first spotted an off-white horse had to yell “Zip!” God knows why that word. And god knows why actual white horses were excluded.

5 Likes

You’re right, now I remember! The railroad tracks thing was something else…

3 Likes

I think you had to lift your feet too, if I remember correctly. (With the railroad tracks.)

3 Likes

We used to smack the car’s ceiling with the palms of our hands while going over the tracks.

4 Likes

So when calling “shotgun” before getting into a car, were we the only kids that followed by calling “secondary” and “tertiary”, or was that actually a thing?

4 Likes

We would always hold our breaths while driving across state lines so that we’d bring some of one state’s air into another.

12 Likes

I want an Aquaman movie. I’m not kidding. He was my favorite superhero when I was a kid dreaming of being a marine biologist.

@Mindysan33 The Sarah Jane Adventures didn’t have enough K-9.

8 Likes