QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

I think early on there was a feeling of wanting to get their money’s worth out of the big Enterprise model. ILM built a six-foot long model for the show which had a separating saucer section, and it was seldom used for filming after Encounter at Farpoint in favour of a four-foot long one that was easier to mount and shoot. IIRC the same footage for the separation was used for the couple of times it happens in series 1, and the six-foot model was only reused for Best of Both Worlds part 2 when the Enterprise separates to fight the Borg Cube, and then for Generations because the four-foot model wasn’t detailed enough to stand up to scrutiny on the big screen.

3 Likes

genuflecting

7 Likes

If you have fond memories of Gary and don’t want those sullied, don’t look up his politics.

4 Likes
4 Likes

OMG… yesterday was Threshold day!

Reposting!

7 Likes

from

3 Likes

6 Likes

I already did…

me

11 Likes

Not sure if clicking on this will allow full zoom in, but Star Trek Online has made a list of all the ships at Wolf 359, and a size chart (edit, looks like it worked)

4 Likes

It took me a minute to find the Saratoga, and I was about to get mad on Jennifer Sisko’s behalf!

7 Likes

Yeah, I was like “where’s the Saratoga… hell where are the Mirandas in general - no, there they are”

I do like their renders of all the ships that were scratchbuilt and then wrecked for the ship graveyard like the Cheyenne and Niagara classes. Apparently while they were shooting Best of Both Worlds part II Patrick Stewart walked into the effects department in Borg makeup to use their photocopier and one of the modelmakers was working on one of the ships for that scene, held it up to him and said “look what you did!”

EDIT: And fun fact, TS Republic is on the list because they used the model of the original Enterprise made for the scene where it crashes onto the Genesis Planet to fill out the background, so canonically a Constitution-class ship was at the battle…

6 Likes

Or you can ask your helm:
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f60a973d-bcdc-4c5d-af8e-f9dac30f51b7#klMiFtq8.copy
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a19260fa-b2b9-4a53-afed-bff1a7cfa086#GA0lB7v_.copy

4 Likes
6 Likes

This was cute.

8 Likes

USS Kaneda, Akira Class (upper right corner). :grin:

4 Likes
6 Likes

There’s an impressive amount of anime references hidden in TNG, usually in LCARS displays that were too small to show up on a TV screen. The one that always comes to mind is the wargame where Riker has to take control of the old Constellation-class ship and fight the enterprise. According to a diagram in the episode it’s Operation Lovely Angel and the planets nearby are Kei, Yuri, and Totoro. The first three are references to the Dirty Pair.

Or apparently the big display in Sick Bay on the Enterprise D had the lyrics to the Gilligan’s Island theme hidden on them.

3 Likes

And today we celebrate Beverly Crusher’s Scottish sex ghost episode…

I guess it’s bad star trek episodes week!

3 Likes

4 Likes

I finally got around to starting Picard (don’t judge, better late than never) and it hit me during the pilot episode that Captain Picard has a piece of AI-generated art hanging above his mantel.

So much for his reputation as a man of refined taste. :wink:

IMG_0933

8 Likes