Semiautomatic handgun advocate shot and killed her two daughters

A chopsticks attack in Texas? Well they do say that everything’s bigger in Texas, so…maybe you’ve got a point. It could’ve been any number of weapons…

But none is as “efficient” as one of those ten guns.

3 Likes

You might enjoy reading this.

Okay, maybe ‘enjoy’ is the wrong word. I think you might appreciate it.

3 Likes

You may be onto something here.

Pools are damn good at stopping bullets: handguns do the best and can penetrate a few feet, more powerful stuff disintegrates on impact usually.

So what you’re saying is that everywhere needs to have a pool to jump into just in case there’s a shooting?

4 Likes

Sad beyond words.

6 Likes

Very. I sometimes wish a story like this could be published without a thread just to give each of us some time to consider how much certain people are hurting right now.

Of course, for some of us these thoughts give way to a flood of anger that so far nothing has been done to reduce the number deaths by firearm.

4 Likes

At first I thought this said 90% of gun advocates cause numerous mental health problems. The real percentage may be higher though.

1 Like

Do you have statistics for that?

1 Like

That’s a shamefully false and unsupported claim.

Guns generally increase risk for homicide. If the extremist, lying, greedy NRA was convinced that guns decreased risk for homicide, then it would not oppose CDC and NIH research on the question.

They can’t have it both ways.

15 Likes

If you are gonna keep a gun it should be in unloaded in a gun safe. That way there is a chance you’ll cool down before you take it too far or the other person to walk away.
Might not stop all arguments from escalating, but it will sure as shit be premeditated murder if you do shoot someone.

2 Likes

I think we need more gun control, but an outright ban is way to far in the opposite direction. Anyone who lives in a rural area, especially if they have livestock, has a perfectly legitimate reason to have at least a bolt-action rifle or a shotgun. It’s easy to ignore that if you’ve lived in a city your whole life.

3 Likes

generally speaking brick means at least the appearance of middle-class in the US.

1 Like

Agreed.

5 Likes

And yet, we have way more guns today than 25 years ago and somehow the homicide rate is down by half. So apparently we have been doing something right over the last 25-30 years.

Correlation doesn’t indicate causation. It might not be something we’re actively doing but a side effect of something else. Since we don’t know, we also don’t know if we could being saving even more lives. We also don’t know if we’ll negate the pattern at any time in the future.

I’m all for finding out what the cause of the decline is, but we know that any number of unnecessary guns leads to a number of unnecessary deaths.

6 Likes

I understand how you feel, but this is a common misconception. It’s the idea that someone capable of an act like this must be in some way fundamentally different to one’s self.

Because if they weren’t that would admit the possibility that one’s self is potentially capable of such an act, given the right environmental stressors.

And that thought is too hideous to contemplate.

9 Likes

Oh good, badscience.

1 Like

I was’t making correlation/causation argument. In fact, quite the opposite. In spite of the fact that we have way more guns today the homicide rate has dropped by about half. There is no epidemic of gun violence when you realize the homicide rate has be going down steadily for 25 years.

1 Like

Do you expect people to take you seriously, here?

2 Likes

Except precisely the sort of gun violence you would expect with a wild proliferation of firearms, i.e. mass shootings.

7 Likes

Oh yes.
http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/9/1/48.full (Conclusion: owning a gun makes you more likely to be the victim of violence, even adjusting for various factors.)
ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/full/10.2105/AJPH.2008.143099 (Assault victims are more likely to be killed if they have a gun.)
Injuries and deaths due to firearms in the home - PubMed (For every 10 justified shootings in households, there are 438 assaults/homicides, 118 attempted/completed suicides and 54 accidental shootings.)
FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 11
FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 15 (Gun owners are eight times more likely to shoot someone in an argument than use the gun to defend themselves.)
http://www.vpc.org/studies/wmmw2015.pdf (Women are five times more likely to be shot by an intimate than a stranger.)
Risk Factors for Femicide in Abusive Relationships: Results From a Multisite Case Control Study - PMC (If a woman’s abuser has a gun, she’s five times more likely to be murdered.)
http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/6/4/263.full (Of the people who claimed to use guns in self defense, more than half were actually using the gun to escalate a situation themselves with criminal threats.)

But, not coincidentally, we have fewer gun owners. A smaller and smaller number of collectors owns more and more guns (about 8, on average now). Gun ownership rates are down. Which is just as well, as an increase in gun ownership rates correlates to an increase in gun murders.

22 Likes