Senators vote Yes to Brett

We can hope. The fact so many “close races” will be held in states with electronic voting machines does not leave me much to hope for, however.

2 Likes

Indeed. I’ve said from the beginning there’s basically nothing that will change the outcome here. The last couple of weeks of Kabuki theater from the Republican side just further salted the wounds here.

3 Likes

51-49 was obvious from the start. The only minor surprise is that a couple of them switched sides, I was expecting a purely partisan split. Makes no difference of course.

I feel sorry for the other Supreme Court justices. Even the conservatives. For example, Kagan knows Kavanaugh well, she hired him when she was dean at Harvard Law, but that was all before the recent events, I can’t imagine she won’t find it difficult to work with him.

Honestly, the sexual assault accusation is not even the heart of the matter to me at this point. He lied, repeatedly, demonstrably, under oath, to the senate judiciary committee. And they (the majority party, anyway) do. not. care. As long as they get their boy in, “he could shoot someone on 5th ave and not lose a single vote.” And, if you want irony, how about this: Clinton’s impeachment was not about the affair, it was because he lied under oath. But, hell, it’s OK if you are a Republican, right?

9 Likes

As soon as it made no difference, Manchin was going to switch. It would have been costly for him to vote “no” and as at this point it would not make change anything, he votes “yes” and maybe saves his seat for the Dems. I would not be heartbroken if Heitkamp switched as well, but I don’t think she will. We had to get at least 2 Republicans to switch sides to make it worth the electoral cost of those guys voting no.

1 Like

He should be kicked out the club. Today. WTF is Durbin getting paid for?

This dude should have waited unti lthe votes were cast. Would’ve saved him some troubles.

Edit: If only Dems had such passion…

1 Like

Manchin has been a turncoat several times in the past. He’s a total DINO.

4 Likes

Having lived in W. Va. I understand why. But, damn this was one that required team effort.

2 Likes

Manchin’s only voting yes because Republicans have a tie-breaker lying in wait, right? Like, they wouldn’t have even held a hearing if they weren’t pretty goddamn sure they had the votes sewn up. It was a good effort from Democrats, they managed to draw this fight out and make the stakes as clear as possible, but this was pretty much a foregone conclusion two years ago.

I’m old enough to remember when the phrase “sober as a judge” meant something.

9 Likes

This is all so depressing. I’m not clear on what Durbin as Minority Whip could have done differently. Calling Manchin a DINO seems like an understatement. More like a republican grifter (apologies for the redundant terms). My only consolation right now is quori’s point: (the blue) winter is coming.

The 2020 election is going to be conducted under procedures that are ultimately decided by the USSC. Where the vote of Kavanaugh will be key to ensuring that the result maintains GOP power.

2 Likes

it might still happen in the house but the “disgraceful pretense by paid protesters hired by george soros to smear the reputation of this wonderful family man” is helping the republicans with the senate campaigns. a couple of quick polls in texas over the past two days are showing cruz now leading over o’rourke by 5-8% which is larger than the margin of error. last friday most polls showed o’rourke ahead by 1-2%, things seem to be moving that way in a couple of other closely contested senate races.

both have said they are voting yes. collins even regurgitated 45’s talking points on kavanaugh and the case against him. she may be toast in 2020 but it will be too late then. manchin hinted he may either become an independent or a republican.

5 Likes

I really am unsure what your insinuating here.

The 2020 election will be done under the exact same rules as each of the last modern elections were done under. Kavanaugh on the court doesn’t change those rules.

1 Like

I think the implication, broadly speaking, is that we’re forever doomed to 49/51 votes with the Supreme Court deciding elections.

Gerrymander, voter suppression, disenfranchisement, electoral violence. And, if necessary, straight-up fraud.

US electoral systems were already infamously corrupt pre-Trump. The red state legislatures have spent the last few years intensifying those factors as fast as they can, and they still continue to do so. Electoral rolls are being purged, districts are being redrawn, polling locations are being shut down.

Any significant legal challenge to this is going to eventually end up at the USSC, where it will be ruled upon by Kavanaugh/Gorsuch/Alito/etc.

9 Likes

One thing I haven’t seen much of is discussion of the de-legitimization of the SC. Interesting times ahead.

2 Likes

That’s not how it works. At all.

1 Like