Senators vote Yes to Brett

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks. I needed that. Being an expatriate, I despair a lot nowadays on the direction the USA is going, and was ready to renounce my citizenship to become (o irony of ironies!) a German.

1 Like

You beat me to it.

Makes me wonder whether theyā€™re so flush with cash that one would find it in their toilet paper dispensers (along with the pile for the likes of Manchin).

1 Like

Speaking as an outsider, as bad and infuriating as Manchin must be, he still votes far more often along with the rest of the Democrats than the most ā€œmoderateā€ Republicans in the Senate do.
As I understand it, the situation in the WV is that the options are between Manchin, and some Republican whoā€™s vastly worse. An ideal progressive Democrat is not an option, and if they were present there, I would be very uncertain that they would get elected, unlike Manchin who seems to have a pretty good lead.

And donā€™t forget the importance of him having that D after his name ā€“ whoever has the majority in the Senate gets to set the agenda, gets all the committee chairs, and so on. A fairweather Democrat like Manchin still counts for that, and in the coming midterms, every Senate seat counts.

So if I was a West Virginia Democratic voter, Iā€™d spit and grumble and hold my nose but make damn sure I voted for Manchin come November, and then keep on pressuring him through calls and e-mails and petitions. And I really hope that any WV voters here on BoingBoing will also hold their noses and vote for Manchin, because he really is the least evil here, and feeling pure and righteous is not worth letting a Republican get in.

2 Likes

There will be a new revolution after the mid-terms fail to produce the expected results.

This country is headed for open civil war.

Are you sure? Iā€™d like to think so, but Iā€™d genuinely like to know: what form would a revolution take in the U.S.? With conservatives winning stealing their way into power in so many ways, is the other side really going to rise up somehow and fight back?

Iā€™m mad as hell and willing to fight back, but itā€™s tough for me to envision how the other side is going to do so, let alone how their doing so would amount to a ā€œrevolution.ā€

4 Likes

Sheā€™s playing it wrong!

Iā€™m sure.

edit: i hesitate to reveal myself to the universe as a meatbag sock puppet of Nostradamus first housekeeper.

hey thanks very helpful :confused:

iā€™d like to remind both of you that the last time we had a civil war it took the lives of 2% of the population. that would be about 6.5 million deaths today and no guarantee that it would end in a victory for progressive side.

5 Likes

Yep, but I donā€™t think I need reminding of that, since Iā€™m not seeing a civil war nor a revolution in the U.S. anywhere near the horizon.

7 Likes

from the ground in texas it looks more likely. just looking at the number of relatives and ā€œfriendsā€ on facebook who are putting up 2nd amendment solution memes at the thought of an oā€™rourke victory over cruz, iā€™ve gotten a little fearful for his life. the biggest difference between my thoughts and btyj is that where they seem to be looking forward to it with enthusiasm, iā€™m looking forward to it with existential dread.

4 Likes

Donā€™t you guys have incitement to violence rules?

1 Like

Thread:

Especially:

The problem, as is pointed out above, is those chickenshits have the positions of power and because they are chickenshit, do everything they can to consolidate it.

8 Likes

Yes, scary indeed. But nowhere near the organized mass revolt of a ā€œcivil warā€ or a ā€œrevolution.ā€

Iā€™m still waiting to hear about some plausible way either could happen soon in the U.S.

2 Likes

Assorted Deep Thoughts:

• Turmp was always going to get a second Supreme, and it was never in much doubt that heā€™d get Kavanaugh. You are right to be upset about that, thereā€™s no silver lining to it. But be aware that a lot of this (particularly the disgusting commentary from various senior GOP shitheads) is specifically aimed at making you even more upset. So donā€™t listen or respond to that. When you see a headline about what some septic pig hemorrhoid has tweeted, donā€™t click it; no one has ever needed to hear Turmpā€™s thoughts on anything.

• Iā€™m seeing a lot of gloating (like from that fascist fuckturtle) about how this has energised the Republican base for November. That, too, is trolling, and also dubious on the merits. Itā€™s true that polls showed a spike in Turmpling enthusiasm while they were actively rooting for the powerful rapist against the hated underdog of libtard human decency. But now theyā€™ve ā€œwonā€ that battle, itā€™s a non-factor for November. Voters donā€™t reward past behavior, and gratitude certainly doesnā€™t get out the vote. Like healthcare sabotage, tax cuts for billionaires, and setting off fireworks in the old folksā€™ home, appointing a screeching rapist drunk to the Supreme Court is much harder to get pumped about after you actually do it.

• Again, thereā€™s no silver lining here. But the flip side of the GOPā€™s ā€œFlight 93ā€ kamikaze approach is that they donā€™t even see themselves existing for long if democracy continues. I think theyā€™re right about that, and for anyone who has a conscience, now is the time to make a heroic push for that vision. Voting rights, DC & PR statehood, court-packing, campaign finance reform ā€“ rip out their tentacles of corruption, drive them all into a pit in the center of Kansas, fill it in and salt the earth.

9 Likes

Except that Kavanaugh might now be more impeachable (I know itā€™s unlikely, but stiill, itā€™s not impossible) than some other Trump nominee would have been.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll take ā€˜who is trumpā€™ for 100.

3 Likes

Like I have told a buddy of mine who is worrying over the same thing. They wonā€™t. Because:

All talk. Once shit gets real, they will realize their governmental quibbles arenā€™t worth getting shot over.

4 Likes

But thatā€™s so where the money is!!

1 Like