Silicon Valley's $400 Juicero "juicing system" turns out to be a machine that squeezes slime out of a bag

Where’s the DRM?

4 Likes

3D food printers. With DRM protection on the cartridges of extrudable dough to stop customers refilling them.

4 Likes

Oh I never meant to imply that they didn’t have real ground coffee in them. But I was under the impression that they ALSO contained an amount of instant coffee.

1 Like

Crossing my fingers!

1 Like

No, that’s achieved (as @Missy_Pants implied) by turning the brewing process in the espresso direction. I.e., if you increase the pressure, then the brewing happens faster.

Edited to add:

Oh, i see what you were saying. I’ve no idea on that.

1 Like

Oh my – all those precious enzymes!!!
Far be it from me to defend this thing, but perhaps it is just the one type of packet… When this thing was first reported on BB I recall seeing information about users opening the bags and using the pulp for other purposes (or at least for compost) – I think that the device web site actually had recipes for the left-over pulp.
Oh well, fools and their money…

It least the stuff tastes “just squeezed”…

1 Like

See you get it! Now you just need a way to put the DRM on the can so that
the can opener won’t open it until you pay an exorbitant amount to open
their green beans. I’m working on DRM toilet paper. Pay up or walk of
shame! Oh you’ve only paid for the 12 rolls per week… well you sir
were 1/2 a roll too short, double fee! TP overages! Roaming Charges.

2 Likes

In a way, China’s already beaten you to that one. :wink:

2 Likes

Wait, this is not a Boing Boing Store post?

7 Likes

Once when I ran out of ground coffee for my little espresso maker I swiped a Nespresso capsule from the office kitchen and cut it open to use the coffee powder inside.

It’s like when Bear Grylls cuts open a deer’s eye and drinks the water inside, except that probably tastes better than Nespresso. :wink:

3 Likes

Thats vitreous humour!

19 Likes

I sometimes think that really smart people don’t make good con artists because they can see all the red flags raised by a scam and assume their mark would too, while a stupid person who wants to get ahead will think “That’d fool me, so it should fool anybody”

Maybe the inventors of this device are actually foolish enough to think that it’s a good idea and the only “clever” part was setting the price high enough that they wouldn’t need to sell a lot to turn a profit.

I’m glad you saw the humour in my statement…

8 Likes

Bear Grylls: “Expresso machine is empty. Time to drink my own … instant.”

3 Likes

So I was showing MrPants these videos and YouTube did that thing where its like “hey you like juicing videos, why not try this video” and… uh…

How is this not the exact same thing but with oh actual juice and fruit?

4 Likes

Ha! perfect

I’ve invented the perfect rolling device that will ‘overtake’ the wheel with ease once this sensational new gadget 'gets rolling.'
What’s great about it you ask? Glad you ask! Our new I!Roller has 7 high angle corners, perfectly symmetrical and machined to extremely high tolerances. These (in laymen’s terms) corner, or high speed ‘ground pokers’ grab the ground perfectly while also being aerodynamic.
Additionally the I!Roller is manufactured from aircraft grade titanium which is a thousand times more durable than old-fashioned rubber wheels.
The I!Roller of course has onboard Bluetooth and Wifi so that you can always check on the status of the I!Roller remotely and weekly updates can be installed on the fly. [insert pun about driveby-installs]
The first batch (exclusive to kickstartr backers) will come in 4 stylish colors to accomodate your lifestyle: Jet Onyx Black, Diamond Shine White, Moulin Rouge Sunrise Red, and hashtagPride(!) Purple.
Head over to our kicstrtr page right now to get your exclusive set of 4 today at the unbelivable low, pre-order price of $a-ridiculous-crap-ton-of-money!

3 Likes

I used to have one of those. Works well but hella noisy. Next juicer I get will be a screw-type masticating one.

1 Like

Packs can’t be shipped long distances because the contents are perishable.

That’s vying for silliest aspect of this product. The advantage to prepacking something is you do it in such a way that prevents the contents from spoiling. Do these not have the air evacuated and the spout vacuum-sealed? What’s the fucken problem that literally every other packaged food manufacturer has solved that these techbro geniuses can’t seem to?

5 Likes

There are already fruit and vegetable subscription services. Usually they’re local CSAs but I’m sure there are some that deliver by mail from farther away.

1 Like