Slack's new logo is a penis swastika

8 Likes

Oh I didn’t realize you were one of “today’s lucky 10,000.”

Don’t blame me, blame Jim Jefferies; his most recent stand-up special is why I even know what that is.

6 Likes

Dr. Strangelove. Before the dark glasses.

3 Likes

As one of the “lucky 10,000” myself, I now am trying hard not to come up with new meanings for “Jefferies Tube”.

8 Likes

This whole conversation is frot

1 Like

I think the use of colour, the angle of rotation, and the positioning of the ball-sacks makes this sufficiently different from a swastika to make it not a swastika. Even if you changed the colours like this:

to get the arms oriented the same way as a swastika rather than whatever a collection of L’s lying base-to-base might be called, the angle of the logo and the offsetting of the axes breaks the association with the Nazi symbol in my mind.

I mean, if you’re going to call any old 90° rotationally symmetrical symbol a “swastika”, why not call the original octothorp a swastika while you’re at it?

3 Likes

It’s still made of dicks, though, right?

6 Likes

Oh, yes, most definitely.

4 Likes

Things that are meant to look like Nazi swastikas (for various reasons, including satire — and also Naziism):

Things that don’t look like Nazi swastikas (because these people not only see tigers in the bushes, they see them in the wallpaper, in the clouds, on the inside of their eyelids…):

Things that are swastikas (but not Nazi ones):

Thing that isn’t Nazi and isn’t a swastika:

Watch out for my next comment, provisionally titled Things which look like dicks. The conclusion may surprise you!

13 Likes

How drunk do you have to be to see this as a “swastika made of penises?” … Cuz it’s not even remotely that.

3 Likes

Dear graphic designers (no pun intended),

The McDonald’s logo looks like a big fat lardy ass sticking up in the air.

Is this the end of the McDonalds logo now, please?

2 Likes

It does not. You may need to see a doctor.

2 Likes

The problem there is you are drawing lines that trace nothing in the logo. The original post traces over the white lines that are actually their in the logo.

When you look at the large image you posted the swastika shape is clearly visible in the negative space in the logo. The positive space you get if you ignore the circles with corners is similar to a St. Brigid’s cross which is a traditional Irish cross woven from rushes. This symbol has unfortunately been used by some neo-nazis within Ireland due to it’s slight similarity to the swastika.

The penises are more of a stretch.

Every graphic design should know to beware of repeating 4 elements that are rotated by 90 degrees. It should be one of the first things you learn.

1 Like

There’s a half-dozen explorations there that would’ve been a much better direction than what they ended up with, in my opinion. The end result doesn’t look like a swastika to me, but it definitely doesn’t look like “co-working” or “collaboration” in any way – and what pops out to me are the big drops of flop-sweat flying off of it, as if the workers are pulling another all-nighter.
23%20AM

3 Likes

It does. You need to stop astroturfing for the junk food industrial complex.

1 Like

I’m so glad that I’ve never seen an ass that looks anything like…
43%20AM

6 Likes

The first thing a designer needs to learn is how to see. In the unbounded logo, the negative space is much less obvious, because the use of colour draws the eye away from the negative space. It also expands into the page giving a much less clear-cut impression of a swastika.

Crop the negative space more honestly, and less like one is trying to make a Nazi logo, and you get this:

Which is maybe a glam-rock version of a swastika, more platform soles and less jackboot.

And I did not trace any lines in any logo. The lines in the second section of my post were made by hyper-pareidolists who want to see… what they want to see.

4 Likes

You can’t see the junk in this?

Then you are surely blessed.

6 Likes

Every time you see the golden arches, you see a big fat yellow lardy ass sticking up in the air. And this will never go out of your head anymore, no matter how hard you do not want and no matter how much you disagree with the semblance. The damage has been done.

2 Likes

Fixed that for you, and I am sorry for your fixation. I suggest ten minutes per day staring at penis swastikas to clear your head of golden arches ass.

5 Likes