Special counsel Mueller is investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice charges

First lesson of Watergate: it’s not the crime, it’s the cover-up.

I was but a toddler when Watergate went down, but I know that after Nixon resigned few people would admit they’d voted for him. I think now those that voted for Trump will just dig their rabbit-holes deeper, blame “deep state” conspiracies and “the liberal media”, blah blah blah. Full partisan blindness.

The guy’s a crook. He was a crook before he ran for President ferchrissakes: lying, ripping off contractors, screwing investors, dealing with the mafia, and then finally making deals with Russian oligarchs who milk their own Motherland dry. He doesn’t even have anything more than the most childishly basic grasp of issues or policy. How can anyone not see that? I mean, where’s that fucking list of campaign promises he’s already broken, “lock her up on day one” and shit. Jebus cripes.

22 Likes

Considering that everyone who starts investigating him gets fired, this seems like the obvious next bombshell we should expect.

I actually kind of wish he fires Mueller, or tries to and gets told “no, you don’t have that authority” by Rosenstein, then fires Rosenstein, maybe then the mask will start coming off for so many of his supporters.

(Yeah, right, what have I been drinking. . . oh, looks like whisky. May as well have another.)

21 Likes

The game plan is to indict Trump with state level money laundering crimes over which the office of the president has no power of pardon, combined with federal indictments to be unsealed once Trump leaves office.

11 Likes

We wouldn’t need reaction gifs if the Lansdowne Portrait, which has been silently judging other Presidents for 221 years, hadn’t been away for conservation during 45’s tenure thus far.

10 Likes

I swear to Christ I wouldn’t be shocked if the guy just took off in the middle of the night on Trump air and tweeted “I’m done with these losers! We tried to MAGA, but they just attacked me. Sad!”

12 Likes

Hell, I’d happily donate toward the fuel costs for that scenario.

17 Likes

Can’t they get him under RICO, as the head of a criminal organisation? Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations pretty much seems to sum up the Trump administration.

10 Likes

Could Trump just use the staff he does control to prevent Mueller from doing his job? Could he for example order the army to park a tank in Mueller’s drive way?

2 Likes

The Presidency has very little power alone. The only reason Trump is getting away with it is because the more powerful branch of government (the legislature) is refusing to perform its oversight function.

17 Likes

Maybe they are confusing “oversight” with “over look”?

6 Likes

“Investigations” are not facts on the ground. Just ask Hillary Clinton.

1 Like

To which his supporters would exclaim, “See! a REAL president!”

2 Likes

You guys sure do have a lot of popcorn GIFs…

7 Likes

He might! But he’s been warned by the House Intelligence Committee that if he does, Congress would immediately rehire Mueller as an independent special prosecutor.

Trump’s rather in a corner. If he testifies under oath, he basically has two options: keep saying what he’s been saying, which when put up against Comey’s testimony, certainly seems like perjury – an impeachable offense. Or admit (again) that he indeed fired Comey to stop the investigation into Russian ties – which would be obstruction of justice, another impeachable offense.

The irony of all of this is that if Trump goes down, it’ll be an Al Capone situation… a known crook who’s been doing deeply illegal things for decades, none of which can be really proven in court, and ends up getting caught because of some stupid sloppy backroom dealings.

12 Likes

Haig’s goal over the next few days was complex: to end the “charade,” and to do so in a way that protected not only Richard Nixon but his own standing with Gerald Ford. A new urgency was added early in August: scare talk about the need to bring out the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division to protect the White House. There is evidence that Haig was behind much of this talk, which worked its way quickly to the Pentagon and—more important—to the Special Prosecutor’s office.

1 Like

I hope that Trump will end up killing the “unitary executive” stone dead.

4 Likes

I wish it had been killed dead about three decades ago, and stayed dead.

1 Like

The opposition to Trump, here and elsewhere, seems generally convinced that there is a smoking gun document out there somewhere which will establish without any doubt that there was a quid pro quo between Trump and Putin.

If he is impeached, I certainly hope it will be as a result of that revelation and not from a “process issue”.

2 Likes

“Trump will try and pardon himself, or he could just pull a Sarah Palin and just walk away from the job.”

Do we really think this announcement is this big? My jaded heart just can’t believe it.

4 Likes

Let’s not kid ourselves. Mueller is a Republican. The government is controlled by Republicans. Some of them appear to be trying to gain advantage over other Republicans, and then nothing happens. Nothing real, actual, put your hands on it. An indictment. An actual smoking gun leak to the press. A law introduced that makes it out of committee. Something. Anything. But NOTHING CONTINUES TO HAPPEN. Why? Because they are Republicans. So, let’s not kid ourselves that this Republican lawyer is going to magically fix all the other Republicans. Not gonna happen, folks. If we want change, we will have to fight for it. It’s not going to come from a Republican and sure as hell not from a Democrat.

3 Likes