Take this visual compatibility quiz to find out what kind of person you are

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/16/take-this-visual-compatibility.html

1 Like

@frauenfelder
On what grounds were you convinced that ‘paper to the wall’ was superior? In most discussions, it always seems to me that the majority favours ‘paper away from the wall’ for a long list of good reasons. (I’m pretty sure it’s been fought over in more than one BB thread but sadly have no time right now to research it.)

14 Likes

Indeed. And to back you up, an illustration from the original patent;

21 Likes

A quick glance on the pages shown in the article leads to the question:
“Are we choosing what we prefer, or what we actually do?”

For instance the USB cable one. i prefer the tidy left one, i tend to let the messy right version happen in reality though :stuck_out_tongue:

20 Likes

Test nr. 1: take the silly book quiz or not?

• No.
  • No!

Done.

18 Likes

27 Likes

Scrolling through the images it seems like I’m predominantly a “a bit of both, really” sort of guy.

Except for the toilet paper issue.
“Paper away from the wall” is more convenient as it makes the paper easier to grab.
Also, “paper to the wall” looks just wrong.
Yes, I do re-adjust bogrolls properly when they offend my sensibilities.

6 Likes

Still though, where there’s a will, there’s a way;

23 Likes

That sounds like it should explicitly be a question in the book.

I would prefer to pick the ones I actually do, but I actually pick the one I prefer.

12 Likes

I fill up my tank of gas when I refuel. So neither of those illustrations would work for me.

13 Likes

Oh man, pavlovian response to the amount of times i’ve seen people yanking out memory sticks without ejecting…

12 Likes

Really there are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don’t.

20 Likes

Loaned my MacBook power adapter to a stranger in an airport lounge. They returned it with the cord wrapped tighter than a guitar string. :confounded:

2 Likes

Just watched The Lobster. This compatibility thing is a slippery slope.

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss of 2 hours.

I think there are, like, 2^50 kinds of people:

*those who tidy up their cables, hang the toilet paper so it hangs against the wall, eject before removing, don’t fill up the tank…

*those who DON’T tidy up their cables, hang the toilet paper so it hangs against the wall, eject before removing, don’t fill up the tank…

5 Likes

There are two kinds of people in the world: People who can extrapolate from an incomplete dataset,

14 Likes

NONE OF THE ABOVE, DAMN YOUR UNSAVOURY CORD STORING WAYS

4 Likes

Two kinds of people :
gallon/liter

2 Likes

I leave the toilet roll on the cistern on its end as the holder is in a stupid place. Mostly I would be one the sort out tangles side of the argument though.