Tell us about your Halloween candy preferences, and other things besides

Results not released until Halloween?

I guess I’m giving out pennies and apples like every year.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the travel-sized dental floss.

6 Likes

You know I saw one of those at the store, and it was a quarter, and I was like, I don’t think I liked this - but then again - have I had one?

Result - I liked it! Though you want them fresh and crispy - or they get sorta sticky and gum up your teeth.

3 Likes

Hey! I also provided a how-to. Wonder how many others? Should be fun to read.

3 Likes

Aren’t all floss dispensers travel-size?

EDIT: I retract the question.

10 Likes

That is also a sane ranking.

3 Likes

If by “looking” you mean “eating some of the good stuff just in case” then yeah my father did that.

I didn’t live in her neighborhood but Minnie Pearl (AKA Sarah Cannon) would bake cookies every Halloween and give them to children who came to her door. No worries about anything but pure kindness in those.

9 Likes

Aww, I love her.

I tried to name a kitten after her, but he turned out to be a boy. So Manny Pearl.

6 Likes

Why, was there a shortage of those tiny boxes of raisins? Should’ve bought them during the after-Halloween sales last year so you’d be prepared for this year!

1 Like

I love tangy, sour, and/or salty candy so my favorites have pretty much always been Now & Laters, Crybabies, Sour Patch Kids, Reese’s anything, and (if one may dream) Tyrkisk Peber (spicy salmiak hard candy with ammonium salt powder center) and Kryptoniter (sour hard candy with regular salt powder center). These last two are latter-day favorites, though I’m almost certain my kid self would’ve loved Kryptoniter.

So, yeah. I like salt. When our kindergarten class teacher held a mock election between popcorn and chocolate chip cookies, I was an activist for the popcorn minority.

Most kids seem to love chocolate though, so I give them what they want—Snickers, Reese’s, Milky Way, Reese’s, Take 5, Reese’s, Three Musketeers, and Reese’s.

Did I mention Reese’s? Kids love Reese’s.

2 Likes

…and maybe the odd loose price tag.

5 Likes

Hey, you have to be vigilant!

16 Likes

Here in TJ, they have tamarind and chili flavored lollipops with a nugget of salt on the face of it. I highly recommend.

6 Likes

Those sound heavenly. Where I live, there are two Mexican grocers and a galactic international foods supermarket, the latter of which has an entire half-aisle of just Mexican candy. I’m feeling more than lucky that I’ll find this.

2 Likes

You and me both.

The hardest part is getting all those pennies into the apples!

No one appreciates my ladles of stew! “one for you” and “one for you”…kids these days…

7 Likes

Tamarind is my favorite thing in the world, grew up with a tree a block away from my house and i spent a lot of time collecting the pods over the years.
Years ago when my parents visited india they brought back some really spicy tamarind pulp “candies”, possibly the best treat i’ve ever eaten.

3 Likes

I’m ambivalent to the true thing, but add chili, and it’s pretty interesting.

I’m pretty happy with it on it’s own, the kind with the pulp and added sugar i find that often they add way too much sugar. I still enjoy it but could do without it or have a hint of sweetness. The indian version i tried wasn’t overly sweet and very spicy.

1 Like

My favorite agua fresca is tamarindo, but most people add sooooo much sugar. My mother (and therefor I) add much less, for a tangier beverage. I can’t get it much here in flyover country, but it is getting better.

1 Like