The Candy Hierarchy, 2013

I’ve said it before (apparently at thesis length, and danged if I shouldn’t actually charge for that eBook download because you folks are getting Actual Value out of those posts, whether you realize it or not), but it’s that time of the year so I’m gonna say it again: the late-October Candy Hierarchy is only skewed way out of alignment by the application of your mature, sophisticated, grown-up “acquired” tastes. Lindt Truffles? Toblerones? Dark Chocolate? What first-grader would open any of those before the Butterfingers, the Milk Duds, or even the SweeTarts?

Look, I figure if you still possess the savoir faire to pull a perforated bedsheet over your head and ring doorbells for candy handouts every year, even at your advanced age, then yes, I’ll grudgingly admit you have a dog in this fight, and maybe your opinion should count. But come now. Real trick-or-treaters don’t covet Vicodin (though a splash of Dimetapp would be appreciated, and smoothly washes down even the orangest Pixy Stix powder with minimal aftertaste), nor do any of them born in this century (or the latter half of the last) plot to infiltrate great-grandpa’s Black Lickrish stash and make off with the arguably masticable chunks of asphalt to be found therein.

The Hierarchy, it must be said, has shown marked improvement in the last couple of years. Most of the things near the top are good, and most of the awful things are near the bottom, and most importantly, a random trick-or-treater yanked briefly off the street would concur, before asking if he can step back out of the van and find his mom again before she hollers for the Neighborhood Watch. There are those who wonder about the significance of the Medulla Oblongata Tier, whose newly-discovered presence makes its debut on this year’s chart. “Makes no sense”? Mesdames and sirs, this is a long-overdue nod to tradition. Some people don’t like those black-and-orange-wrapped peanut-butter-flavored taffy Mary Janes, and sure, some people are blind, deaf, and insensible to the autumnal symphony of sensation that is the Candy Corn (and the similarly buttery but heavily dyed candy pumpkin and related candies). But think back, my friends, to the magical days of your ill-spent youth. If the timing of this Hierarchy means anything to you, then Halloween was one of the most highly-anticipated days on your calendar, rivaling birthdays and Christmas and Hanukkah, surpassing New Year’s Day and The Last Day of School, and utterly beating the shit out of Easter, the Fourth of July, Guy Fawkes Day, and Opening Day at Cajon Speedway (your local enthusiasm levels may vary). Biting into a Snickers bar doesn’t evoke anything more profound than “Mmmmm… chocolatey nougaty caramelly peanutty yummmm,” which honestly is profound enough for any given eight-year-old, but isn’t particularly seasonal. It could be any random Saturday afternoon.

But the right brand of candy corn is different. Yes, there are wrong brands. But you take a kid, cover her eyes, and have her bite into a piece or two of candy corn, and whether it’s tonight or last April, she’s gonna start thinking “Halloween” and her salivary glands will kick into overdrive and she’ll start coveting every other sweet thing that ever fell into her pillowcase or plastic jack-o-lantern over the last five years. It’s a gateway candy, one that so completely embodies the spirit of the last night of October that you really can’t escape it in your trick-or-treat bag, though you actually have to hunt it down the rest of the year.

Mary Janes also fill this niche for my generation. You never saw them any other time of year, so when you did see them, you automatically thought “Halloween.” Even if you found one fossilized under your bed during Spring Cleaning, you wouldn’t necessarily be tempted to eat it. But your thought process would still go like so: “Wow. This must be… from last Halloween! Ahhh. Halloween. That was a fun time last October. There was a full moon. Janey ate too many Good 'N Plentys and ralphed on some Ninja Turtle. Man, I could really go for some candy corn right now… though, this being April, I’d settle for some Nerds.”

And so it is that I believe Messrs. Cohen & Ng have done well with this tier. It is entirely appropriate and long-overdue. And if any of you get some unwanted MJs or Candy Corn in your hauls this year, send 'em my way. I’ll give 'em a good home. Nom.

And now, on to the abject failures. Mounds and Almond Joy belong in the same category, so that part’s done right. I can’t stand either of them, but that’s okay, since I acknowledge that some weird kids do actually eat them. Said kids would probably rather read Gold Key or Harvey Comics rather than DC or Marvel, but hey, somebody’s gotta drink the RC Cola too, right? We can’t all be clones.

But I have stocked more candy drawers than would be good for anyone, and I know the brands that get left for last. Not in the sense of “leaving the best for last,” but in the sense of “I’d rather eat everything else in this drawer before that craptastic old Mounds bar in the corner. It doesn’t even got nuts.” The very idea that any kid, no matter how sophisticated and pretentious, would rank Lollipops, Nerds, Gummi anythings, bubble gum, Laffy Taffy, or even the less-popular but still completely edible Bottle Caps and Circus Peanuts, down in the Bottom Tier with the likes of Black Lickrish, Good 'N Plenty (which is just a heavy dose of Black Lickrish prescribed in slightly-more-swallowable caplet form), chalk, ribbon candy, white bread, and trading-card gum is beyond laughable. Kids like Gummi Bears, and Gummi Worms are even better. The kids seem to prefer the Sour varieties of Gummis, which I at least would toss down in the Not-Registering heap with the pencils and raisins, but remember: this ain’t about us. A kid that scores a bag of Gummis (sour or otherwise) is statistically happier than the kid who scores an Almond Joy(less), and every last one of you who has been in the same room as a kid in the last ten years knows it.

And come now. Stale Tootsie Rolls are ranked on the same level as even fresh Milk Duds? And higher than Gummi Bears? Y’all smoke crack.

I do wonder about some omissions. I’m not worried about @technogeekagain’s beloved NECCO. TGA thought that factory made candy, but machinists worldwide recognize that NECCO wafers are just low-quality shims and washer-blanks. (The color-coding refers to hardness rather than any discernible difference in flavor.)

I lobby for the inclusion of Abba Zaba (particularly after warming it in your back pocket so it doesn’t extract your fillings upon the first bite). Those were especially coveted in my day, and they’re still to be found on the bottom shelf of the candy aisle at your corner 7-Eleven. Yummy.

@miasm, if I find those grape Mentos before you do, we’re gonna have to fight over 'em!

@Tavie, if anything, Baby Ruth should go higher than Snickers. They are very different experiences. I like the Baby Ruth much more, but the Snickers is a smoother, more civilized bar, leaving far fewer chunks of chocolate and whole peanut tumbling down the front of your shirt.

As for you, @welcomeabored, whyIoughta! Maybe it’s time for me to send you another load of that Depression-era vulcanizing compound you licorice-eaters call candy. And my sister’s whole family still calls me Donnie. In fact, two of my sisters, both of their husbands, and all their assorted kids (and by now grandkids) call me Donnie. Other than them, nobody’s called me that since the 70s. But that’s okay. Go ahead and laff. I got all of ya to read to the very end of this long-ass dissertation. Ha! Joke’s on you guys!

And it’s “Mister Petersen” to all of you!

7 Likes

I don’t like candy sweets.

And I hate Halloween. The night I have to sit in the dark and refuse to answer the door (okay, that’s every night, whatever…).

Roll on Nov 5th and a proper holiday.

It took me a moment to realize what you were saying here. Outside of the US, Smarties are similar to M&M’s so that sentence read to me as you giving out candy-covered chocolate along with some variant of chocolate for variety. You mean these

rather than these

as if I needed another reason to love Redd Foxx.[quote=“Aaron_W, post:38, topic:13083”]
Redd Foxx would answer the door with a bowl full of quarters and let you take a fistful. That was legendary.
[/quote]

1 Like

#Good evening, Mr. Petersen!

Butterfinger is second-tier, really? Twix is probably my favorite, but Butterfingers are tops as well - and unique among the standard candies. Their taste-experience-finale is getting stuck on your molars (though not as bad as some), but the flakiness and that strong butterscotch flavor combined with the soft chocolate is excellent.

And I have to wonder about @Donald_Petersen’s unfounded slagging on Mounds and Almond Joy… just what is it with coconut-haters? Even as a kid, Mounds and Almond Joy were tier-one for me. I’d trade for those over basically everything else - they were rare enough to sacrifice even my other top favorites for. The adult concession I’d make now is going for the dark chocolate one, which is pleasantly decadent without being pretentious like Lindt Truffles or Ferrero Rocher.

Always the non-conformist, I was never a big fan of Snickers or Milky Way, or even Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Of course I’d eat them before a lot of things in my plastic jack-o-lantern, but I didn’t especially seek them out and I’d gladly trade them (my brother was a huge Snickers fan).

Tootsie Rolls go in the Candy Corn category for me… always considered them inedible. Unlike the Tootsie Rolls I did eat the Candy Corn as a kid, but it was the one candy that could really make me feel sick. @Donald_Petersen, who claims to like Candy Corn, brings up the point of the candy-corn-esque pumpkins, which is something different that I do kind of like. When you make them bigger like that, they don’t dry out as much.

The only other major point of contention I have is Bottle Caps, the only thing I’d pull out of the bottom tier. I really liked those as a kid… haven’t had them in years though.

I also don’t see Twizzlers anywhere, which aren’t really licorice; they’re the only non-chocolatey thing I’d put at least in the second tier (though I prefer Red Vines now). Also Pretzel M&Ms are a new favorite - seriously, try them - along with the older Peanut Butter M&Ms. The rest of the M&Ms are definitely second-tier; actually plain ones (and mint etc.) I’d put in the bottom tier. Reeses Pieces are second-tier… as a kid I’d probably put them first-tier even.

I’m going to have to go out and get more candy, because the supply I picked up a few days ago has been decimated. Nobody at my house normally ever buys or eats candy, and since I only bought the good stuff, it’s rather unsurprisingly been disappearing quickly. It’s made me feel a little sick, and I feel like it’s seeping out of my pores… I mean there’s a reason I don’t normally have candy around.

2 Likes

Coconut chocolate is the worst thing ever.

1 Like

Interesting point. My guess is that most people keep doing what they remember from their youth (childhood and young adulthood). Back in the 1960’s, for example, a fistful of pennies meant something: penny candy really was PENNY candy, and many other candies were $0.05 or $0.10. Nowadays, even very young children don’t bother to pick up pennies in the street.

Hear, hear!

I was ready to nominate Donnie for beatitude until that unfortunate assertion. Really, Mr. Peterson…really?

2 Likes

If the very idea that there are young children who prefer dark chocolate to the milk variety is unfathomable to you, I’m sure I have no interest in hearing any of your further opinions on the matter. Good day sir!

2 Likes

The former are also made in the UK (or at least used to be made there)… The ones made in the US changed to some non-sucrose sugar, ?dextrose?, in the 1980’s but the ones that were manufactured in the UK were still made with real sugar – I would check the labels carefully before making my purchase to make sure that I only got the UK-sourced ones.

In Canada at least, they’re labelled as Rockets. Their website says “We have two manufacturing facilities, one in Newmarket, Ontario, and one in Union, New Jersey. There is no difference between the Rockets® manufactured in our Canadian factory and those from our factory in Union, New Jersey.” And yeah, it says dextrose on the ingredients.

2 Likes

My friend’s mom used to give out nicely decorated cookies – she dressed like a witch and had an old wood stove that the kids had to reach inside to retrieve the treat. There were also always a couple “grandmas” that gave out the best caramel apples (the only acceptable Halloween fruit) when I was a kid, but that was a town of ~350 many years ago…

I would replace all my books with Chick Tracts before I’d ingest one of those flavorless, foamed-vinyl circus peanuts.

BTW, both my kids (8 and 14) love Lindor Truffles.

And then, there’s the stuff BELOW the bottom tier. It has but one item. Necco Wafers. Ugh.

2 Likes

These are what you want.

Is that why people don’t like them? They have a flavour, but I guess some people can’t taste it.

Send 'em my way, Ed! They’re my favorite kind of packing material type candy. Not so good when stale, but on those rare occasions when you can find a fresh sack…aaahhh.

Honestly, the flavor is just okay. But they have the most strangely sublime texture. You actually sink your teeth into them, and it feels like tucking your molars into bed. Sometimes I feel the urge to squish them between my fingers before I bite into them. It’s like the bubble-wrap of candies.

What’s weird is that I can’t actually describe the taste to anyone. Circus Peanuts do indeed possess a flavor, and I do like it, but it’s not really like anything else. Definitely tastes nothing peanut-related.

2 Likes

Oh, I can fathom it all right. One of my nephews developed a pretty sophisticated palate for sushi before he was seven, and habitually ordered Salad Shakers instead of Happy Meals at McDonalds (he’d have preferred to eat elsewhere, but when the minivan pulled up to the golden arches, he wasn’t inclined to starve himself to make a point). I won’t say he’s weird, but he was definitely unusual. And that was more to my point: much of the Hierarchy seems skewed more toward our adult tastes. Some kids adopt those more sophisticated tastes early on, but if the Hierarchy is to reflect some kind of consensual reality wherein the top-tier candies were coveted Halloween prizes and the bottom-tier ones were hastily traded off to unwitting younger brothers, then we have to acknowledge that it is, in fact, a bit of a popularity contest. And so a lot of lowest-common-denominator populist mass-products are going to do pretty well. I’ve been a milk chocolate fan nearly all of my life, but for a couple of years in the late 70s, I was a closet Hershey Special Dark fan. (Yeah, I know, still Hershey. But I did grow up in a trailer park. Special Dark was as Special as chocolate could get in my neighborhood.) And they were easy to accumulate, since most of my friends would trade them to me for Krackles and even the odd Bit-O-Honey. But just because I liked them didn’t mean they belonged higher up on the list. Most of the kids I knew couldn’t wait to unload the dark chocolate.

If that demographic has changed noticeably, nobody’s told me.

Well, yes, really. I’ve never liked coconut in any form. But I hasten to point out that I did acknowledge you (kinda weird) coconut-lovers exist. In fact, I celebrate your against-the-grain maverickhood. We coconut-haters are the clones. You guys, the ones who actually like the mealy white guck, you march to the beat of a different Candyman. Maybe he’s more Tony Todd than Sammy Davis, Jr., but that’s appropriate for the holiday, is it not?

1 Like

You’re supposed to EAT those?? I’ve been using them to draw sidewalk art.

2 Likes